Double the pleasure when you make chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache frosting. Top with tasty crushed pistachios for texture, color and taste.
If you're a chocolate lover, you are going to love these chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache frosting. Topped with crushed pistachios for great flavor, texture and a little pop of color. They just might be your next "go-to" dessert.
Normally I am not a fan of chocolate cake, even though I love just about anything chocolate. The reason is that chocolate cake is often too dry. However, ever since I learned about the pudding trick, when making chocolate peanut butter cake for my brother's birthday, I've totally changed my mind.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
This frosting is a simple ganache, also like the chocolate peanut butter cake, but this time I used a bittersweet chocolate. My husband really liked it because it's closer to dark chocolate, his favorite, but not quite as bitter.
I also loved the addition of pistachios on top. They were my father's favorite and worked well with the chocolate. However, I think all nuts go great with chocolate.
The nice thing about making cupcakes is that you can create a few different options with different toppings. So, if you have someone with a nut allergy, or want to make a few a little more kid friendly or festive, you can easily substitute the pistachios with sprinkles.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 small box of chocolate instant pudding mix, 4 oz
- 1 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
Chocolate Ganache Frosting Ingredients
- 2 cups Bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the cake batter according the box directions. If it only calls for 2 eggs add a third.
- Add the pudding mix to the cake mix.
- Pour into cupcake lined muffin tins.
- Bake according to the box directions or until a toothpick entered into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Once cupcakes have cooled make the ganache.
- Drizzle the ganache over the cupcakes and sprinkle pistachios on top.
- Melt the chocolate and cream in a heavy saucepan on medium heat. Stir constantly to avoid burning. Once the chocolate is melted (~ 2 mins) remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir well.