This layered potpourri in a mason jar is a fun craft to make with your friends and/or kids. It’s super easy and makes a great gift too.
Layered Potpourri in a Mason Jar
The following directions are just as a guideline. You can change it up anyway you’d like.
1 quart sized jar with lid
1 T ground clove powder
2 T ground cinnamon powder
1/2 c. scented botanical (I used lavender)
1/2 c. scented botanical (I used peppermint)
1/4 c. fixative (I used cellulose fiber)
1/4 c. colorful botanical (I used orange slices)
1/4 c. spices (I used whole allspice)
1/4 c. textured botanical (I used hibiscus flowers)
fragrance/essential oil ( I used a floral blend)
You May Also Like:
Start by making a funnel with a sheet of paper and pour in the cinnamon and clove powder. Gently shake to even them out.
Add several drops of the fragrance oil dispersing it evenly on the bottom.
Proceed by layering six different ingredients in the following order.
- Scented Botanical (such as: lavender, roses, lemongrass)
- 2nd layer of scented botanical material (i.e. mints, rosemary)
- Fixative layer (cellulose fiber, orris root, oak moss) Add several drops of the fragrance oil to the fixative
- Color (calendula, pearly everlasting, citrus rinds)
- Spices (cinnamon chips, allspice, cloves, star anise)
- Texture (pods, pine cones, tilia flowers)
Cover with the lid and keep the jar closed for a day or so then open and place it wherever you want to see and smell your creation. Decorate the lid with raffia, your favorite fabric or just leave it the way it is.