This moist chocolate chip muffin recipe is simple to make. Tasty enough for breakfast but sweet enough to eat any time of day.
Chocolate lovers unite! Here's an easy recipe for a moist chocolate chip muffin. Seems like a dessert, right? However, if people can eat donuts, chocolate croissants and add chocolate chips to pancakes, why not muffins? In fact, this simple recipe is great to eat any time of day.
Making Moist Chocolate Chip Muffins
As with many muffin or quick bread recipes, you mix your dry ingredients together separately from the wet ingredients. Remember when recipes asked you to sift flour with other dry ingredients? A quick solution is to simply use a wire whisk to mix them together.
Dust the chocolate chips in a little extra flour to help keep them from sinking together in a lump at the bottom of the muffin. However, don't forget to keep some aside to place on top of the muffins before baking. I usually keep about 1/3 cup for the tops.
Another key component to keep your muffins light and airy is to avoid over-mixing. When you combine the dry ingredients with the wet try not to mix it too much. When you add the chocolate chips just fold them in.
Often you only want to fill the muffin tray 3/4 of the way however, this recipe will yield a full cup. Follow up with the reserved chocolate chips and a dusting of coarse sugar. (optional)
This results in nice big muffins with crispy muffin tops and moist and airy muffins.
More Muffin Baking Tips
- Use 1/2 butter and 1/2 oil for moist and tasty muffins.
- Bring ingredients to room temperature for easier and better mixing.
- Spray the entire muffin pan inside and top to prevent sticking.
Whether you eat them for breakfast or throughout the day these moist chocolate chip muffins are a tasty treat you'll want to make again and again.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips (reserve 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl with a wire whisk.
- In a separate large mixing bowl add butter, oil, and sugar.
- Beat well with and hand mixer or stand mixer.
- To the sugar mixture add vanilla and egg and mix well.
- Next, add the milk and stir with a rubber spatula.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture and gently mix by hand with the spatula.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spray a muffin tin or use paper liners.
- Divide the batter evenly among 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Then sprinkle coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until they start to brown on the edges and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Tossing the chocolate chips in a little flour will help keep them from sinking in the batter.
Bringing the ingredients to room temperature first helps them mix together better and results in a lighter muffin.
Use 1/2 butter and 1/2 oil for moist and tasty muffins.
Spray the top of the entire muffin pan inside and top to prevent sticking.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 347mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.