This spicy chicken chili is a nice change of pace from your ordinary beef chili and uses salsa verde instead of tomato sauce as one of the main ingredients.
We are big fans of southwest and Mexican cuisine. Rich bold spicy flavors from peppers and dried spices that keep you coming back for more, makes a perfect dinner, especially during the cold winter months.
However, when you are cutting back on red meat, but still want a good protein, this spicy chicken chili recipe can do the trick.
I wanted to call this recipe white chicken chili, but at the time I didn’t realize that it would come out looking such a rich brownish-red.
Even though I did not include any tomatoes, as I would for my everyday chili recipe, all the spices and chili peppers give this dish an amazing color.
Instead of tomatoes, I used broth and a large jar of salsa verde. The salsa verde gives this spicy chicken chili a really nice tart flavor that combines well the peppers and spices.
Yes, it’s pretty spicy, but you can back off on the hot peppers and substitute more bell peppers if you want.
What to Serve with Chicken Chili
- sour cream
- shredded cheese: cheddar, monteray jack, pepper jack, manchego, queso blanco
- chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- lime wedges
- finely chopped onions
- pickled jalapeno slices or chopped grilled fresh jalapenos
- chopped fresh avocado or guacamole
- chopped olives
- more salsa
- tortilla chips
Make it a chili party with one big pot of chili, and lots of toppings for your friends to choose from.
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers finely chopped
- 1 red chili finely chopped
- 1 dried poblano pepper crushed
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice and zest of half a lime
- 2 chicken breasts (approx. 1 pound) diced
- 1 jar salsa verde (16 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can cannellini beans or great white northern bean 15 oz
- shredded white cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- fresh lime juice
- Saute onions and peppers in olive oil for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, and hot paprika.
- Stir well and let the spices and veggies cook another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and saute for 3 - 5 minutes until its browned well.
- Add salsa, broth and beans.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice, stir and serve with toppings of cilantro, cheese, sour cream and lime wedges.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 810mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 9gSugar: 9gProtein: 20g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.