This easy potato soup recipe is the perfect dish to make on a cold day, and will warm you from your head down to your toes.
Sometimes you just want soup. For me, canned soup just doesn't do the trick. Often they are extra salty or have a gummy texture that I don't like.
The thing is, making your own soup isn't difficult. I like to make in on the stove, on a day when I'm going to be home, but slow cookers and instant pots work great too.
This easy potato soup is the perfect example of how simple soup recipes can be to make, and still taste as good as if it was made in a restaurant.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there's no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission.) Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Whether it's a broth-based, chowder, or more creamy textured recipe, making soup usually involves a few basics.
Things like onions, carrots and sometimes celery, and I have no problem using canned here, but shy away from bullion, are a mainstay.
Then it's the meat of the recipe, which could be meat or vegetables to consider.
Starches like potatoes, any type of noodle or grain, followed by spices to give the dish extra flavor and depth, complete the dish.
If you make a large batch, either invite a few friends over to share or freeze some for a future soup craving day.
You'll be so glad you did.
P.S. Other creamy soups you may like are this Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe or this Easy Cream of Crab soup which uses canned soup. If you are looking for something a little lighter try this Roasted Cauliflower Soup.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 pounds russet potatoes - peeled and chopped
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions and carrots in olive oil on medium heat until softened. About 3-5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and broth.
- Bring to boil then reduce to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. (easily pierced with a fork).
- Remove from heat and run through a food process or blender until smooth or use an immersion blender.
- Add heavy cream. Stir and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 28g