Follow this easy DIY crossbody bag tutorial for a great way to upcycle an old pair of jeans into a fun and useful purse. This project uses the back pockets of your jeans making it easier to have an extra compartment for your phone or other things you want to carry.
Sometimes you just want to carry the bare minimum like your phone and a credit card, a bit of cash, and lip balm. I particularly like this kind of bag when going to home or garden tours or hiking. Places when lugging around the bag you normally carry is unnecessary and cumbersome. A little crossover denim bag, sometimes called hipster bags are the perfect option.
I wear blue jeans every day. I know many people prefer leggings but there are no pockets in most, and I like the look and feel of denim. After a while, they become too worn to donate so they end up in my fabric stash. So I'm always looking for a way to recycle them.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
How to Make a Crossbody Bag from Jeans
Start by marking around one of the pockets and cut out the area out.
Turn over the top and sew to give it a finished edge.
Cut out the other pocket, It will become the flap. Trim the top to the length you want.
Next cut out some denim from the jeans to match the size of the original rectangular piece with the pocket. Then pin the second pocket on top with right sides facing (see above) and sew it together at the top edge.
Lay the original pocket on top of the second pocket with backing as shown above.
Sew the sides and bottom together leaving the top open. Then clip the bottom corners.
Turn right side out.
Attached D-rings to the side to clip on a strap. Do this by cutting a 1-inch square of denim.
Fold over the denim square. Slide the 1/2 inch D-ring over the fabric and sew it to the side of the bag at the top. Repeat on the other side.
Clip the strap onto the D-rings.
Finally attach a snap in the middle of the folded flap for a nice closure.
Now you have two handy compartments to stash your phone and few other necessities.
A handy dandy cute DIY crossbody bag with plenty of room for all the essentials.
DIY Jean Crossbody Bag
- Sewing Machine
- Fabric marker
- Pair of old jeans
- 2 D rings .5 inch
- Snap fastener
- Mark a rectangular area around one of the jean pockets and cut it out.
- Turn over the top and sew to give it a finished edge.
- Cut out the other jean back pocket close to the edge to use as a flap. Trim the top to the length you want.
- Cut out a piece of denim from the jeans to match the size of the first pocket cut out.
- Pin the second cut out pocket on top with right sides facing and sew it together along the top edge.
- Next, lay the original pocket on top of the second pocket with backing with right sides together.
- Sew the sides and bottom together and clip the bottom corners.
- Turn right side out.
- Add D-rings to each side by cutting two 1 inch squares of denim. (That's where you will clip on the leather strap.)
- Fold the denim over and slide a D-ring over top.
- Then sew both edges to each side of the bag.
- Add a snap on the bottom center of the flap for closure.