See how easy it is to create your own homemade hot chocolate bombs to give to someone you love on Valentine's Day or any special occasion. Make some for dessert or wrap them up in a bag for a special take-home gift.
Have you tried them yet? Hot chocolate bombs have been showing up everywhere lately. Sure you can buy them, but they are also really easy to make.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there's no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Making Hot Chocolate Bombs
Melt the chocolate slowly in the microwave, checking and stirring every 30 seconds.
Spoon some of the melted chocolate to the silicone mold. Then use the back of the spoon to push and coat the chocolate up the sides of each mold.
Then move the mold to the refrigerator for 5 minutes to harden. Repeat the process again making sure to pay close attention to the sides. Move the shells back to the refrigerator for 5 more minutes.
Tip: Place the mold on a cookie sheet so it will be easy to move from the counter to the refrigerator.
Then remove the shells from the mold by pushing from the bottom with one hand, and gently pulling up with your other hand.
Next, make some homemade hot chocolate mix or use a prepared mix.
Place a heaping tablespoon of hot chocolate mix in 6 of the shells. Top with marshmallows or candy bits, such as shaved chocolate, or crushed up peppermints.
Then take an empty shell and place the edge down on a warm pan to melt it slightly.
Bring one filled shell and the empty melted edge shell together to make one bomb. Use a small spoon to even out the seal. You can also heat the spoon over a gas flame a bit to help melt and smooth the edges. You can also use some of the melted chocolate to seal up any holes.
Decorate the bombs by drizzling more melted chocolate, followed by sprinkles and other candy bits over top.
To serve, place a chocolate bomb in the bottom of a large mug and pour about 1 cup of hot milk over top.
The shell will break open and leave you with a delicious chocolatey hot drink dessert.
Wrap some up as gifts but be sure to keep one or two for yourself.
- 3 cups Dark chocolate melts
- 1 cup Hot Chocolate Mix
- Mini marshmallows
- Various candy bits such as chopped candy canes
- Melt the chocolate slowly in the microwave, checking and stirring every 30 seconds.
- Use a spoon add the melted chocolate into the silicone mold and use the back of the spoon to push the chocolate up the sides.
- Then move the mold to the refrigerator for 5 minutes to harden.
- Repeat the process again making sure to pay close attention to the sides.
- Place back in the refrigerator for 5 additional minutes.
- Next, remove the half shells from the mold by pushing from the bottom with one hand, and gently pulling from the top with your other hand.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of hot chocolate mix in 6 of the shells. Top with marshmallows or candy bits.
- Then take an empty shell and place it edge down on a warm pan to melt the edge slightly.
- Seal the two shells together and use a small spoon to even out the sealed edge. You can also heat the spoon over a gas flame a bit to help melt and smooth the edges.
- Decorate with more melted chocolate drizzled over top followed by sprinkles, and other candy bits.
Place the molds on a cookie sheet so it will be easy to move from the counter to the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 933Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 406mgCarbohydrates: 136gFiber: 11gSugar: 106gProtein: 11g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.