Chicken & Black Bean Casserole
- 1 lg onion chopped
- 1 lg green pepper chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 bottle of chunky salsa 15 oz
- 1 lg can can of diced tomatoes 28 oz.
- 1 T . cumin
- 1 t salt
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 t red pepper flakes optional
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 cans of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 package 8-10 count flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese
Saute onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, beans, salsa, tomatoes and chicken. Simmer on medium to low heat for 10 minutes.
Spoon some of this mixture into a 13 x 9 baking pan or two 8x8 pans.
Cut the tortillas in half.
Line the pan with the tortillas by placing the flat cut side against the sides allowing the center to overlap.
Sprinkle about 1/3 of the cheese on top of the tortilla layer.
Spoon half of the chicken and bean mixture on top.
Place another layer of tortillas on next followed by cheese and the remaining chicken & beans.
Finish with the remaining cheese.
Cover with foil and cook for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Serve with chopped lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.