Learn how to make this easy chicken black bean casserole recipe. It’s very adaptable & sure to be your next family favorite.
One of my “go-to” dinners is this chicken black bean casserole. Like so many others, my family really loves Mexican food. It’s the one thing we can usually all agree on when choosing a restaurant.
Several years ago I found a recipe for a black bean tortilla casserole in a magazine. Originally, it was a vegetarian recipe but I’ve been adapting it with chicken and a few other ingredients for an easy dinner option.
The great thing about this one is that you can change it up to add, exchange, or exclude some of the ingredients.
Chicken Black Bean Casserole Variations:
- Bring it back to its vegetarian roots by excluding the chicken.
- Change up the protein by using cooked shredded pork or ground beef
- Try making it with corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas
- Use pinto beans, kidney beans or some combination of both.
- Change up the cheese mixture by using Monterey Jack, Manchego, or Queso cheese.
- Try adding corn or different varieties of salsa.
The possibilities are many and I’m pretty sure that you can easily find a winner.
We like to serve this casserole with lots of fresh shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and sour cream. You could add sliced olive and pickled jalapeno peppers for the spice lovers.
Make it fun by providing all the above in little bowls for a toppings bar, and let everyone chose what they like.
One more thing. Similar to dishes like lasagna, and other casseroles, it freezes well so you can make two. One for dinner and one to freeze for the future.
P.S. If you enjoy Mexican flavors you may want to try my Southwestern Rice & Black Bean Casserole as a great side dish option. This dish has very similar flavors to my Chicken Enchilada recipe and for a great appetizer try Easy Chicken Nachos.
Chicken Black Bean Casserole
Check out my Recipes Page,
for more great ideas.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bottle (15oz) chunky salsa
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast meat, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 package 8-10 flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 can 28 oz diced tomatoes
- Saute onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, beans, salsa, tomatoes and chicken. Simmer on medium to low heat for 10 minutes.
- Spoon some of this mixture into a 13 x 9 baking pan or two 8x8 pans.
- Cut the tortillas in half.
- Line the pan with the tortillas by placing the flat cut side against the sides allowing the center to overlap.
- Sprinkle about 1/3 of the cheese on top of the tortilla layer.
- Spoon half of the chicken and bean mixture on top.
- Place another layer of tortillas on next followed by cheese and the remaining chicken & beans.
- Finish with the remaining cheese
- Cover with foil and cook for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Serve with chopped lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.