Every time we go out for Mexican I order chicken enchiladas. It’s also one of my favorite make ahead meals at home. So today I’m sharing my easy chicken enchilada recipe. It makes enough for two pans so you can freeze one for later and there’s always plenty of leftovers.
The original recipe came from my sister and is extremely adaptable. You can substitute the chicken with re-fried beans for the vegetarian. Sometimes I make a couple with just cheese and salsa. Adapt it to your heat tolerance when purchasing the salsa and sauce. Toppings can also vary from lettuce, tomato and sour cream, to cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno slices and guacamole.
The key is buying a rotisserie chicken. For a few dollars you have all the chicken you need to make about 16 enchiladas. Affordable, delicious and easy to make. If you love Mexican and you’re not already making enchiladas you have to try this recipe.
|Easy Chicken Enchiladas|| |
- 2 - 8 count tortillas packages (flour or corn)
- 1 - 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 -20 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 15 oz jar of salsa
- 2 - 7 oz cans of diced green chilies
- 2 - 8 oz (4 cups total) bags of shredded cheese (Mexican or cheddar)
- 1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Shred chicken into a large bowl.
- Add chilies, salsa and 1½ bags or 3 cups of cheese
- Mix well
- Prepare 2 9x13 baking pans by coating them with the small can of sauce and pouring any remaining sauce into the chicken mixture.
- Spoon chicken mixture into the middle of the tortilla, roll sides and place seam side down in pan.
- Once both pans are filled pour the large can of enchilada sauce over top making sure to coat all areas of the tortillas.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 mins.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 mins.
- Serve with chopped tomatoes, sour cream, shredded lettuce, and any other ingredients you like such as guacamole, jalapenos, pico de gallo and chopped black olives.
- Once cool cover one of the pans and freeze for up to 2 weeks.