This easy recipe for chicken enchiladas uses rotisserie chicken for a quick dinner. Perfect for leftovers, and freezes well too.
Every time we go out for Mexican I order chicken enchiladas. It's also one of my favorite make-ahead meals at home. So today I'm sharing my easy chicken enchilada recipe. It makes enough for two pans so you can freeze one for later and there's always plenty of leftovers.
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
The original recipe came from my sister and is extremely adaptable. It's pretty easy to double this recipe and you could even freeze a pan or two for the future. However, like many things the freshest is the best.
Chicken Enchiladas Adaptations & Substitutions
The original recipe came from my sister and is extremely adaptable.
- Sometimes I make a couple with just cheese and salsa. Adapt it to your heat tolerance when purchasing the salsa and the enchilada sauce.
- You can substitute the chicken with refried beans for the vegetarian.
- Toppings can also vary from lettuce, tomato, and sour cream, to cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno slices, and guacamole.
- The key is buying a rotisserie chicken. For a few dollars, you have all the chicken you need to make about 16 enchiladas.
- You could also just buy some boneless skinless chicken and quickly cook it in a pot of water with some salt and pepper. Then once it cools shred it by hand.
- I typically use flour tortillas, however, using corn tortillas would be just as good.
Affordable, delicious, and easy to make. If you love Mexican flavors and you're not already making enchiladas you have to try this recipe.
P.S. We love Mexican dishes. One of my most popular posts is a Chicken and Black Bean Casserole. I've also made a Southwest Rice & Black Bean Casserole that makes a perfect side dish. You can find these and more on my Recipes Page.
- 2 - 8 count tortillas packages, flour or corn
- 1 - 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 -20 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 15 oz jar of salsa
- 2 - 7 oz cans of diced green chilies
- 2 - 8 oz bags of shredded cheese, 4 cups total, Mexican or cheddar
- 1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Shred chicken into a large bowl.
- Add chilies, salsa and 1 1/2 bags or 3 cups of cheese
- Mix well
- Prepare 2 9x13 baking pans by coating them with the small can of sauce and pouring any remaining sauce into the chicken mixture.
- Spoon chicken mixture into the middle of the tortilla, roll sides and place seam side down in pan.
- Once both pans are filled pour the large can of enchilada sauce over top making sure to coat all areas of the tortillas.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 mins.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 mins.
- Serve with chopped tomatoes, sour cream, shredded lettuce, and any other ingredients you like such as guacamole, jalapenos, pico de gallo and chopped black olives.
- Once cool cover one of the pans and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 682Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 2155mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 8gSugar: 16gProtein: 36g