This easy recipe for chicken enchiladas uses a rotisserie chicken for a quick dinner. Perfect for leftovers, and freezes well too.
Every time we go out for Mexican I order chicken enchiladas. It’s also one of my favorite make-ahead meals at home.
So today I’m sharing my easy chicken enchilada recipe.
It makes enough for two pans so you can freeze one for later and there’s always plenty of leftovers.
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
The original recipe came from my sister and is extremely adaptable. You can substitute the chicken with refried beans for the vegetarian.
Sometimes I make a couple with just cheese and salsa. Adapt it to your heat tolerance when purchasing the salsa and sauce.
Toppings can also vary from lettuce, tomato, and sour cream, to cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno slices, and guacamole.
The key is buying a rotisserie chicken. For a few dollars, you have all the chicken you need to make about 16 enchiladas.
Affordable, delicious and easy to make. If you love Mexican and you’re not already making enchiladas you have to try this recipe.
P.S. We love Mexican dishes. One of my most popular posts is a Chicken and Black Bean Casserole. I’ve also made a Southwest Rice & Black Bean Casserole that makes a perfect side dish. You can find these and more on my Recipes Page.
- 2 - 8 count tortillas packages, flour or corn
- 1 - 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 -20 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 15 oz jar of salsa
- 2 - 7 oz cans of diced green chilies
- 2 - 8 oz bags of shredded cheese, 4 cups total, Mexican or cheddar
- 1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Shred chicken into a large bowl.
- Add chilies, salsa and 1 1/2 bags or 3 cups of cheese
- Mix well
- Prepare 2 9x13 baking pans by coating them with the small can of sauce and pouring any remaining sauce into the chicken mixture.
- Spoon chicken mixture into the middle of the tortilla, roll sides and place seam side down in pan.
- Once both pans are filled pour the large can of enchilada sauce over top making sure to coat all areas of the tortillas.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 mins.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 mins.
- Serve with chopped tomatoes, sour cream, shredded lettuce, and any other ingredients you like such as guacamole, jalapenos, pico de gallo and chopped black olives.
- Once cool cover one of the pans and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
Amount Per Serving Calories 682 Total Fat 28g Saturated Fat 13g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 11g Cholesterol 96mg Sodium 2155mg Carbohydrates 76g Fiber 8g Sugar 16g Protein 36g