Make flour tortillas from scratch. this four ingredient recipe will help save you money while creating fresh delicious tortillas in your own kitchen.
It’s Cinco De Mayo, and many are celebrating with delicious flavors from Mexico. My family is a huge fan of this cuisine, and recently while my daughter was visiting, she showed me how to make flour tortillas from scratch. Yes, it is so much more convenient to buy them at the grocery store. However, when you’re a young adult, saving money is an important priority. Also, there is definitely something to be said for creating good food from scratch. Often they taste better, and you don’t have all the added preservatives found in their store bought counterpart.
Make Flour Tortillas
This recipe makes 8 large burrito size tortillas, or 16 smaller taco size.
All you need is flour, salt, baking powder, vegetable oil and water to make these yummy tortillas. Since they are all standard pantry items, you can pretty much make them at any time.
We decided to make eight and used them in my Chicken and Black Bean Tortillas Casserole for dinner that evening.
They didn’t take long to make, but we did have a nice little assembly line going with the two of us.
As you can see, they were not perfectly round, and that has everything to do with my impatience and dough rolling ability. 🙂
My daughter says she likes to make these and refrigerate them for the week in a zip bag separated with foil, or parchment paper. That and a pot of beans keeps her in burrito heaven for a whole week, and leaves her extra spending money for shopping and going out with friends.
Here’s The Recipe:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl with your hands until it forms into a large non-sticky dough ball, add flour if needed.
- Cut dough ball into even pieces. Eight for large burrito size tortillas or 16 for small taco size tortillas.
- Knead each piece for about 30 seconds and roll into a ball and place on parchment paper.
- Press each ball flat with the palm of your hand and then cover with a towel for 15 minutes.
- Roll each ball out on a floured surface until paper thin. About 8-10 inches round for 8 cut balls or 6 inches for 16 pieces.
- Cook each tortilla in a non-stick large skillet on high. (no oil or cooking spray need) Bubbles will they form on the tortilla and you can pop them with a fork. After one minute flip the tortilla over and continue to cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Stack on individual pieces of parchment paper or foil.
- Once cool slide into a ziplock bag, trimming parchment if needed and place in the refrigerator for up to one week.