This easy slow cooker chicken burrito bowl recipe makes a quick and delicious meal for dinner any day of the week.
I love a good burrito bowl. It's very much like a taco or a burrito without the tortilla. This is especially great if you are a lover of rice because you are basically substituting a tortilla for rice.
Today I'm sharing a simple chicken burrito bowl recipe made in a slow cooker for a great dinner that takes very little time and effort to put together.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
Using a slow cooker makes this an easy meal to create. Just a little prep of chopping onions and peppers and combining them with some canned beans, corn, tomatoes, and spices. That's the base for this recipe.
Boneless skinless chicken breast are set on top of the base to cook low and slow for four hours.
It smells so good while it's cooking.
When it's done cooking you can remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. Or you can use your hands but you'll probably have to wait for the chicken to cool first.
Toss the shredded chicken back into the pot and you are set to create your burrito bowls.
Place some rice in the bottom of the bowl and top it with a nice helping of the chicken and vegetable mix. Then add the toppings of your choice.
Buritto Bowl Toppings:
- Grated cheese - Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Manchego, Queso Blanco
- Sour Cream
- Peppers - Pickled Jalapenos, Sliced Grilled Jalapenos, Red Pepper Flakes
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped Lettuce
- Use ground beef, turkey, chicken, or meat substitute (stick with lean meat so that there is less fat accumulating in the pot)
- Use tortillas and make tacos or burritos instead of using rice
- Substitute jars of salsa for the vegetables and spices
- Use a prepared taco seasoning instead of the specific spices listed.
- Use white rice or a grain such as quinoa instead of brown rice.
With very little prep in the morning or even mid-day, you can enjoy this delicious Mexican chicken burrito bowl recipe for a wonderful delicious dinner.
- 1 can of black beans - drained
- 1 can of petite dice tomatoes (15 oz)
- 2 cups of frozen corn (10 oz bag)
- 1/2 large green pepper sliced thinly
- 1/2 large sweet onion sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Pickle jalapeno slices
- Chopped lettuce
- Pico de gallo
- Combine beans, tomatoes, corn, pepper slices, and onion slices, and spices in a large bowl.
- Add to the slow cooker.
- Place chicken breasts on top and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks or your hands.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot and serve over bowls of brown or white rice.
- Offer toppings of grated cheese, sour cream, and pickled jalapeno slices etc..
Substitute white rice for the brown or skip the rice entirely.
Substitute lean ground beef or chicken for chicken breasts.
You can also use this for tacos or burritos by incorporating tortilla shells and any combination of toppings.
Set out the toppings in bowls and make a fun Burrito Bowl bar and let everyone help themselves.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 630Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 686mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 12gSugar: 8gProtein: 50g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.