This Mexican chicken stuffed peppers recipe uses sweet bell peppers for a healthy alternative to tortillas without sacrificing flavor.
We love Mexican cuisine in our family. Burritos are a favorite. But, in an effort to eat healthier, I tried to lighten it up by using the typical ingredients of a chicken burrito and substituting bell peppers for the tortilla.
Healthy Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Sweet bell peppers are tasty and the bright colors are so very appealing to the eye. They are low in calories (30 - 50 calories) and high in nutrition especially vitamins C and A.
The Low Carb Version
Skip the rice and beans for a low carb option.
Increase the amount of chicken or make ground chicken stuffed peppers with this recipe. Ground turkey works well too.
What to Serve with Mexican Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Anything you would serve with tacos or burritos would also work well with this recipe.
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Cilantro
- Jalapeno Peppers - pickled, grilled, fresh (however you like it)
- Hot Sauce
- Chopped Lettuce
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Pico de Gallo
- Avocado Slices
- Sliced Black Olives
- Radish Sticks
It used to be hard or expensive to buy yellow, orange and red bell peppers in the store but not anymore. However, if for some reason that is still the case for you, just go with the green. They'll work just as well.
If your kids don't like peppers just let them eat the filling and save the pepper for yourself.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast diced
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoons hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2.5 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Slice tops off peppers and remove all seeds and ribs
- Microwave the peppers for 4 minutes on high heat to soften
- In a large saute pan saute chicken in olive oil with cumin, oregano, coriander and paprika for about 3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and beans. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from stove. Add rice and 1 3/4 cups of cheese. Stir well.
- Fill peppers with chicken and bean mixture.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes
- Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup of cheese on top and return to oven under cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro and jalapeno slices if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 39g