This Mexican chicken stuffed peppers recipe uses sweet bell peppers for a healthy alternative to tortillas without sacrificing flavor.
We love Mexican cuisine in our family. Burritos are a favorite. But, in an effort to eat healthier, I tried to lighten it up by using the typical ingredients of a chicken burrito and substituting bell peppers for the tortilla.
Healthy Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Sweet bell peppers are tasty and the bright colors are so very appealing to the eye. They are low in calories (30 - 50 calories) and high in nutrition especially vitamins C and A.
The Low Carb Version
Skip the rice and beans for a low carb option.
Increase the amount of chicken or make ground chicken stuffed peppers with this recipe. Ground turkey works well too.
What to Serve with Mexican Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Anything you would serve with tacos or burritos would also work well with this recipe.
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Cilantro
- Jalapeno Peppers - pickled, grilled, fresh (however you like it)
- Hot Sauce
- Chopped Lettuce
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Pico de Gallo
- Avocado Slices
- Sliced Black Olives
- Radish Sticks
It used to be hard or expensive to buy yellow, orange and red bell peppers in the store but not anymore. However, if for some reason that is still the case for you, just go with the green. They'll work just as well.
If your kids don't like peppers just let them eat the filling and save the pepper for yourself.
Mexican Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast diced
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoons hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 4.5 oz can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup cooked white rice or brown
- 2.5 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Slice tops off peppers and remove all seeds and ribs and fit into a large baking dish.
- Microwave the peppers for 4 minutes on high heat to soften
- In a large skillet saute chicken in olive oil with cumin, oregano, coriander, and paprika for about 3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and beans. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from stove. Add rice and 1 3/4 cups of cheese. Stir well.
- Fill peppers with chicken and bean mixture.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes
- Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup of cheese on top and return to the oven until cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro, and jalapeno slices if desired.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
We love Mexican food! These are a nice change from typical taco night. Thanks for a great recipe!
I love stuffed peppers! These Mexican chicken ones sound perfect to add to my menu options!
These looks tasty and you're right peppers are so good for you. I've been eating them on a regular basis these days because they boost the metabolism.
Thanks Carole. I did not know that they boost metabolism. My metabolism really needs a boost.