Turkey burgers can be really dry, and I guess that’s part of the reason they are not a tasty as a beef burgers. Since we love Mexican and southwest flavors, I thought I could doctor up some ground turkey, to make a healthy, yet tasty, southwest grilled turkey burger.
Southwest Grilled Turkey Burgers
I was thinking about meatloaf without the extra bread. Adding peppers, onions and chili seasonings to give this burger a ton of extra flavor.
I made sure the grill was very hot and grilled the burgers on each side for about 5 minutes or until they were cooked through.
This recipe uses a pound of turkey, but when you add in the onions and peppers it makes four, nice sized burgers.
They were so flavorful, and do you know what condiment we used instead of your typical ketchup and mustard? Sour cream! It went so well with this burger, and added just right amount of creaminess to make the dish perfect.
How about slices of avocado or guacamole as a condiment? I think either would be fabulous on this burger.
If you are a big fan of Mexican and/or Southwest flavors, you might also enjoy my Chicken and Black Bean Casserole recipe. Summer is around the corner and that means lots of cooking on the grill.
|Southwest Grilled Turkey Burgers|| |
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup fresh chopped peppers (hot or mild or both)
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 large clove of garlic grated
- 1 teaspoon chli powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ t chopped basil leaves (cilantro would be good too)
- Heat grill on high.
- Combine all ingredients and pat out four burgers
- Grilled on high heat for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and sour cream.