Try this blue cheese burger with fig jam for your next barbecue. The sweetness of the fig pairs great with the savory blue cheese.
Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam
I remember having quite a few backyard picnics growing up, with hamburger and hotdogs as the main event. It seems like people are not making them as much today, but I still love this menu.
It's always fun to have a bunch of different toppings and let everyone choose what they like. Often my father would buy two different kinds of buns from a local bakery. One that was hard and crusty and the other was soft and sweet like a brioche.
I really love the combination of blue cheese and figs. Something about the saltiness of the cheese, and the sweetness of the figs that make a winning combination.
You can see I just make two patties. Try to make them thin, even thinner than the ones I did here. Also, I use fairly fatty meat at 85%, but you can use a leaner cut. I learned this from a friend when we lived in Nashville. She said you just can't make a juicy burger with anything more than 85%.
See how fat this burger is. If you can take your time and make thinner patties it will be better in the long run, and easier to cook.
Still, I can honestly say we absolutely loved this burger. It was big enough for my husband and me to split but I could have eaten the whole thing.
P.S. Another popular burger recipe is my Southwest Turkey Burger that's a little healthier but just as tasty.
- 1/2 pound of 85% ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon of Gorgonzola cheese
- salt & pepper
- Fig Jam
- Lettuce & Tomato slices, optional
- Pat out two 1/4 pound patties very thin.
- Place the cheese evenly in the middle of one of the patties.
- Place the other patty on top of the one with cheese.
- Carefully pinch the edges together to enclosed the cheese.
- Grill on medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes on both sides.
- Coat with the fig jam and place on a bun with lettuce and tomato and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 741Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 208mgSodium: 619mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 14gProtein: 65g