This recipe for a grilled vegetable tart is made with summer fresh vegetables from the garden or market and puff pastry for a simple yet delicious appetizer, lunch, or side dish.
When we go on vacation with my extended family we love to eat, drink and relax.
In addition to cooking big dinners, we often cook up tasty appetizers and drinks. However, sometimes the rental homes do not have all the comforts of home. This is especially true for spices and other pantry staples, so you need to keep it simple.
Making a Summer Vegetable Tart
This grilled vegetable tart is one of those simple yet delicious appetizers you can make just about anywhere.
Start with puff pastry. Once it warms up, roll it out or just pull gently with your hands. Then crimp over the edges to make sides to hold in all the toppings.
Next, brush it with garlic and olive oil. Just take a clove or two of garlic, peel it, and smash it or chop it up and let it sit in some olive oil. About 1/2 cup of oil should be plenty for the pastry and the veggies.
Bake the puff pastry as directed. This will be your tart base.
Next slice up some veggies. Whatever you like. Here we have eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, bell peppers, and poblano peppers. I think mushrooms would be great too.
Toss them with the same oil and place them on the grill. Cook the vegetables for a few minutes on each side. Tongs work best but a spatula is good too for flipping the veggies, to make sure they get cooked on both sides.
Place your grilled vegetables on the baked puff pastry base and then top it with plenty of shaved or grated parmesan cheese. You could also use any cheese that you like such as romano, asiago, or mozzarella.
To finish this grilled vegetable tart set it in the broiler until it gets nice and browned. Cut and serve with your favorite cocktail.
This would make a nice lunch or light dinner with a side salad. If you're growing your own vegetables you probably have more than you know what to do with. This recipe is certainly one you could add to the list. However, with the availability of fresh veggies at today's market, we can all join in and create this easy vegetable tart all year long.
Grilled Vegetable Tart Recipe
- Sliced vegetables such as onions eggplants, tomatoes, zucchini and peppers
- 1 Puff pastry sheet
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Crush the garlic cloves and let them sit in the olive oil while you slice your vegetables.
- Brush the puff pastry dough with some of the garlic olive oil and roll up or crimp the edges.
- Bake the dough according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, toss the remaining olive oil and garlic with the vegetables and grill them on both sides. This will vary depending on the vegetable but most take about 5 minutes on each side.
- Place the grilled vegetables on the baked puff pastry.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Finish by placing the tart under the broiler for just a minute or two to brown.
- Cut and serve.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.