These salmon foil packets with julienne vegetables are the perfect healthy dinner to throw on the grill during the heat of summer.
I try to eat salmon about once a week. It’s heart-healthy, good for your skin and we like it. Most of the time I bake it in the oven but during the summer months, I’d rather use the grill instead of the oven.
Vegetables to Pair with Salmon Foil Packets
I accompanied the salmon with julienne vegetables. It’s important to make sure everything cooks equally when using foil packets. Cutting up the vegetables very thin helps them cook faster. Plus chances are you already have tons of zucchini and summer squash from the garden or have been gifted some from your friends and family.
If you want to substitute the zucchini and summer squash with another vegetable or starch and are worried about the cook time difference, you can always partially cook them on the stove or in the microwave.
A couple of slices of lemon gives more flavor than you may think. I also added some chopped up fresh from the garden chives to liven up the veggies. You could leave them out or add some other tasty herbs that you like. I think lemon thyme or flat-leaf parsley would be wonderful.
Heavy duty foil is the way to go with these foil dinners. Make sure you rip off a piece of foil that is large enough to hold the salmon, veggies, with extra space for wrapping tight.
It’s a really healthy, low carb, low cal and satisfying meal that’s super easy to make without extra heat in the kitchen.
Another bonus: There’s no messy pan to clean up afterward. That might make it worth cooking during the winter too.
- A pound salmon filet
- 1 cup zucchini in julienne strips
- 1 cup summer squash in julienne strips
- One lemon sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- salt and pepper
- Clean and julienne the zucchini and summer squash.
- Toss the vegetables with 1 tablespoon of olive oil a dash of salt and pepper and the chives.
- Using heavy duty foil to create to foil packets.
- Place half the salmon on the foil. (about 12 - 15 inches - enough to set the salmon, veggies and wrap them up.
- Rub a little olive oil on top.
- Add a little salt and pepper and some of the lemon slices.
- Add half of the vegetable next to the salmon.
- Wrap up the salmon and veggies and place on a medium heat grill for 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon and how well cooked you like it.
- Remove and carefully open the packet. Serve.
Cook time will vary depending on your grill, the thickness of the salmon and how well done you like your fish. For this dish, 20 minutes gave us a medium rare cook.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 633Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 53g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.