This recipe for Meyer lemon butter sauce is perfect with baked salmon and wilted spinach for a delicious low carb, meatless, and healthy dinner.
A bucket of Meyer lemons for $2.00. I had to buy this delicious fruit for that price, and though I have my own dwarf Meyer lemon tree, it's still too small to produce many lemons. I decided to use them to created a simple Meyer lemon butter sauce, to serve on salmon and spinach for a tasty low carb, meatless meal.
Meyer Lemon Butter Sauce
This meal is a great option for those of you who practice fasting from meat during lent. It's also low carb, and high in protein for a healthy, yet hearty entree.
I often bake salmon with slices of lemon, My sister-in-law marinates her salmon in orange juice and soy sauce. So when I found myself with several Meyer lemons, I decided to pick up some salmon and use them to flavor the fish. A Meyer lemon, you see, is a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. They are very juicy, smaller than a regular orange, and much sweeter than a lemon, but still on the tart side.
For a healthy side I simply wilted some spinach in a pan with a little oil, salt and pepper. I think this high protein veggie pairs well with citrus flavor too.
A little grated Meyer lemon zest adds a punch of flavor and a pretty accent to the plate.
Drizzle some of the sauce on the salmon and the spinach, and serve on the side for seconds, or those who just want a little bit more.
Here'e the recipe:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound fresh salmon fillet
- 12 oz fresh spinach
- 1 Meyer lemon slicedMeyer Lemon Butter Sauce
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 4 tablespoons butter, 1/2 stick
- 1/2 c fresh Meyer Lemon Juice, 2-3 lemons
- zest of one Meyer Lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degreesSalmon
- Spray a glass pan with cooking spray
- Add salmon and drizzle with olive oil and a little salt and pepper
- Slice the Meyer lemon and arrange on top of the salmon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.Spinach
- Saute the spinach in 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat until just wilted. (about 3-5 mins)
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.Sauce
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter on medium heat.
- Add garlic and stir
- Add remaining butter, stir.
- Once butter is melted whisk in Meyer lemon juice and zest.
- Add a little salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle over salmon and spinach and serve the remaining sauce on the side.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.