This sesame ginger vegetable stir fry is easy to make without any added sugar, making it a healthy and satisfying dish.
We are lucky enough to have a big family that loves to invite us over for family dinners and get-togethers. I always ask what I can bring to help out.
Often the answer is "a side dish." I have made several side dish casseroles on this blog. They are great because they are usually large enough to feed a crowd.
However, recently I was specifically asked to bring a vegetable side dish so I brought this Asian inspired sesame ginger vegetable stir fry.
I used freshly grated ginger, garlic and a small amount of sesame oil for great flavor. I also added a nice amount of sesame seeds which taste great and look so nice on the finished dish.
This recipe also uses Tamari which is a little less salty than soy sauce but you could use either.
The one thing I did not add is sugar. Often you find stir fry recipes with a glaze from brown sugar or honey, but I felt that this one did not need it.
Also, I knew that we have a few low carb lovers in our group so skipping the sugar made everyone happy.
The majority of the dish is comprised of snow peas. Along with carrots, they add plenty of sweetness, you don't even miss the sugar. I also really love the taste of snow peas in Asian dishes.
This vegetable stir fry recipe makes enough to fill a large serving dish. Just the right amount to give a small serving to a large group of people.
Sesame Ginger Stir Fry Vegetables
- 1 pound snow peas washed and cleaned
- 1 medium zucchini sliced thin
- 2 small yellow squash sliced thin
- 1/2 bunch thin asparagus cut into 1.5-inch pieces about 20 spears
- 2 cups matchstick carrots
- 2 large cloves garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon pure sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Tamari
- juice of a large lemon approx. 1/4 cup
- Sriracha optional
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a large saute pan add olive oil and half of the garlic and ginger. Stir for about 30 seconds making sure the garlic and ginger do not burn.
- Add zucchini and squash and saute until they begin to soften, stirring all the while so that the garlic and ginger does not burn. (About 3 mins)
- Add carrots, asparagus and snow peas.Stir for another 2 minutes or so.
- Add Tamari, sesame oil, lemon juice and a dash of sriracha (optional)
- Stir well and let cook for another minute or two.
- Remove and toss in sesame seeds and serve.