Even though I am mainly an ornamental gardener, I decided to share a recipe made with zucchini. It seems like anyone who grows this popular veggie receives a huge harvest, and are begging for others (me) to take some home.
In fact, I make this a couple of times a month. It's easy, low carb and somehow seems like a decadent treat.
All you need besides the zucchini is oil and cheese. I do like to grate in a little garlic too, but it's optional. You could substitute onions, scallions, shallots or just leave it out.
First I cut up the zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds. If you have a large zucchini you can slice the rounds in half.
Tip: To get evenly sliced rounds, turn the zucchini a little each time you cut a slice.
Saute the zucchini rounds in a pan to partially cook them first, and give them color.
Let them cool, and then arrange them in a greased baking pan or pie pan. Top with the cheese and bake.
Note: If you are in a hurry, skip the baking part, and just let them saute and little longer in the pan. Top with cheese, and let the heat of the zucchini melt the cheese. Then take the whole pan right to the table.
As I said, this is a regular at my house. We also enjoy Middle Eastern Stuffed Zucchini, another great low carb option, but more of a main dish.
Enjoy! You can never have too many zucchini recipes, right?
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Clean the zucchini and cut off the top and bottoms.
- Slice into 1/4 inch rounds. To keep them even, turn the zucchini 1/4 inch with every slice.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan on medium heat
- Saute the zucchini for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, making sure they do not stick to the pan.
- Add garlic and saute until the zucchini are slightly tender about 1-2 more minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a pie pan or baking dish coat the bottom and sides with oil or vegetable spray. Arrange the zucchini in a pattern starting from the middle and working outwards.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for 15 minutes in the oven or until the cheese starts to brown.
- Remove and serve.