This spicy green chile corn casserole is super easy to make and is perfect for the holidays or any time you get together with a large group.
This is another throwback to all those church, school and Scout cookbooks filled with everyone's favorite recipes that they've made over and over again.
Some call it cornbread casserole or corn pudding.
It's perfect for Thanksgiving but I'd also say that it works well at many gatherings because it's easy to make and serves a crowd. For example, I think this would be wonderful served with any kind of barbecue meal.
My recipe is fairly typical. It uses a box of Jiffy cornbread mix as the base.
You could make your own cornbread mix and add the other ingredients but that would require more work and this has always been a quick and easy homestyle side dish.
I like to add cans of hot green chiles which you probably won't find in a standard recipe. It adds a nice smokey flavor and a little extra heat which we love. If you don't like your food too spicy you can buy mild chiles or skip them altogether.
It's a recipe that allows for variation so get creative.
Options and Substitutions:
- Use fresh or frozen corn instead of canned corn
- Any type of chopped peppers, sweet peppers, jalapeno, ancho...
- Cheese - cheddar, pimento cheese, pepper jack
- Sliced olives
- Scallions or chives
- Cilantro or parsley
- Use mayo or creme Fraiche instead of sour cream
If you want a thicker serving size, try making this in a smaller pan such as a 9x9 baking pan. Also, you could double the recipe and keep it in the 13 x 9 size, though it may take a little longer to cook.
This comes together so quick and easy you'll want to make it again and again.
Consider bringing it to a potluck dinner or family gathering. Everyone will love it guaranteed.
Spicy Green Chile Corn Casserole
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 15 oz can of creamed corn
- 1 15 oz can of yellow corn (drained)
- 2 4 oz cans of hot green chiles
- 1 8.5 oz box of Jiffy corn mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- Whisk the eggs together with the melted butter
- Add all other ingredients
- Pour into a 9x13 glass baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes
- Cool slightly and serve.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.