Adults and kids alike will enjoy making this fun and fragrant applesauce cinnamon ornament wreath as part of your Christmas decor. Once again, simple ingredients are all you need to create a beautiful piece of decor that you can use to adorn your own home this holiday season.
Have you ever made ornaments with applesauce and cinnamon powder? I can't remember if I made them in Girl Scouts or the classroom but the process is really easy. I thought they would make a beautiful fragrant wreath for Christmas this year.
Making a Cinnamon Applesauce Ornament Wreath
When making the dough typically you are using a little more cinnamon powder than applesauce. But since both of these may vary feel free to add a little more applesauce or cinnamon powder to make the dough come together.
Wrap the dough in some plastic and place it into the refrigerator for about 1 hour. This will make it easier to roll out later.
While the dough is in the refrigerator take some time to paint the wreath base in any dark color you want. Then add some twine to the base creating a hanger.
Roll out the dough using some extra cinnamon powder on your surface and a rolling pin to keep it from sticking. You can also dip the cookie cutter in some cinnamon powder if needed.
Bake your cutouts using a Silpat or parchment. You can do it without them but it seemed like the ornaments cracked a little more.
Allow the stars to fully cool.
Then use some dimensional white paint to decorate some of the stars. You can decorate all of the stars or none at all. I thought having a combination of plain and decorated stars looked good.
Once dry use hot glue to place the stars all over the wreath frame. I started with the largest stars and worked my way down to the smallest overlapping here and there.
It was super fun and so fragrant. A little time-consuming but you could easily break this project up over a few days if you want.
And, if you have any cutouts leftover you can use them as Christmas ornaments or string them with ribbon and use them as a garland.
I'm pretty sure that this will be the focal point of our Christmas mantel. Pretty and fragrant. I love a project that does double duty.
More Easy Christmas Wreaths
- DIY Bottle Brush Wreath
- Chunky Yarn Wreath
- Fresh and Faux Wreath
- Easy Red Berry Wreath
- DIY Pom Pom Wreath
Applesauce Cinnamon Ornament Wreath
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Star cookie cutters
- baking sheet
- Silpat or parchment paper
- 2.5 cups Applesauce
- 3.5 cups Ground Cinnamon 12 oz
- Plastic wrap
- White dimensional paint
- 18 inch floral ring
- brown craft paint
- Combine 3 cups of ground cinnamon with 2.5 cups of applesauce to make dough.
- Split into two discs, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough about 1/4 -1/3 inch thick. Use extra cinnamon like flour to help roll out dough on the counter and rolling pin.
- Use star-shaped cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
- Place stars on a Silpat or parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake at 170 degrees for 2 hours
- Allow ornaments to cool.
- In the meantime paint the floral wreath frame in a brown or another dark color and add a twine hanger.
- Decorate some of the ornaments with white dimensional paint.
- Once dry, hot glue ornaments all over the floral wreath base.
- Hang indoors.