Make your own natural homemade lip balm to give out as gifts. Just a few ingredients are all it takes. Vary the scent or the oils to make it your own.
Everyone enjoys lip balm, especially in the winter. It's pretty easy to make and you can get creative with the ingredients, make pretty labels, and give them out as gifts.
In my case, I used some of the calendula oil I made during my infusing herbs segment. I also used peppermint extract instead of essential oil, just because some people can find it easier or may already have it on hand. It worked great. I think because the main ingredient was alcohol, not water, which would not mix well with the oils.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
How to Make Homemade Lip Balm
- Melt the oils and the beeswax in a glass measuring cup either on the stove, in a pot of water, or in the microwave.
- Once melted remove from the heat and stir in the peppermint.
- Pour into lip balm tubes.
- Allow to cool and attached the caps. Label.
Homemade Lip Balm Variations
- Use or add other oils such as olive, safflower, and jojoba. Rule of thumb: the more oil the thinner the consistency; the more beeswax the harder the end product will be.
- Add mineral makeup for color.
- Add essential oil for fragrance and other beneficial properties. You can use an extract as I have here, but make sure that water is not listed as the first ingredient.
Notes and Tips for Making the Lip Balm
- It's hard to pour the liquid into those tiny tubes from a large measuring cup so here's what I did. I pulled out a small plastic disposable party cup with a thin edge. Then I poured some of the liquid into the plastic cup which I was then able to squeeze and pour the liquid into the tube relatively easily.
- If you are working with a large batch you may have to reheat the mixture, as it hardens up pretty quickly.
Here is the label I made for my lip balm sans logo. Click on the pic and you can save it to your computer it for FREE.
A great gift to make for the holidays. Easy to ship and you can make a large batch at one time. Everyone will love this peppermint natural homemade lip balm even men. For the ladies, you might want to try this natural tinted lip balm for just a hint of color.