Tinted lip balm is easy to create. This recipe uses natural ingredients that you can feel good about, and makes a great homemade gift.
Tinted Lip Balm
This is something I’ve wanted to try to make for myself. You may recall that I made peppermint lip balm a few years ago. Today’s recipe is pretty similar only I did not use calendula oil and this one is a tinted lip balm for just a hint of color for a natural look.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
- 7 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons of beeswax pellets
Melt in a microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between. About 2.5 minutes depending on the wattage of your oven.
- 3 spatulas of red matte mica powder
- 2 spatulas of brown matte mica powder
- 3 drops of geranium oil (optional)
Stir well and pour into the lip balm containers. This amount makes 7 -8 tubes of tinted lip balm.
A Couple of Notes:
- You can increase or decrease the amount of beeswax or oil to make the balm harder or more gloss-like. The more wax, the harder it will be. Test it by dipping a spoon in the melted mixture and set it in the freezer for a minute. When you take it out you can try it, and see if you want to adjust the firmness accordingly.
- If your mixture comes out lumpy when you pour it into the tubes, you can use a dryer sheet to help smooth out the top of the balm.
- You can use any essential oils you like. Flavored extracts like peppermint work well too.
- I used the little spatula that came with the mica powders. If you buy something different you will just have to experiment with a plastic spoon to get the color you like. As you can see from the picture of the cup above, the color looks a lot darker in its melted state. Try using the spoon in the freezer test, so you can see what the end resulting color will be.
I you want to use my labels, just right click on the image above and it will take you to a Microsoft word template.
This tinted lip balm turned out perfect for me. Just enough color to look good when I go out to run errands. Plus the beeswax and coconut oil is great for keeping my lips soft and smooth.