Try this easy recipe for tasty olive oil chocolate chip cookies that uses dark chocolate chips for a decadent chocolate lovers' treat. The recipe makes 5 dozen cookies making it a good option for a cookie swap.
I wanted to try baking with olive oil. I've had olive oil cake and it's delicious so why not try it with cookies. As ever a chocolate lover I decided to try making chocolate cookies with olive oil.
Why Olive Oil?
Olive oil is a healthy fat and is packed with vitamins and antioxidants. It's something that we cook with all the time and we love the flavor. Still, since this was a sweet recipe I used a light olive oil so the flavor wasn't too strong. You can see from the image above how different this part of the cookie-making process looks compared to butter. It's much thinner and more of a liquid.
Once you add in the flour the batter is still pretty thin, more like a brownie batter. No worries. All you need to do is stick the batter into the freezer for 10 minutes. Once it hardens you can easily scoop it out and place balls of dough on a baking sheet for perfect small cookies that taste great.
Why Dark Chocolate Chips?
I used 60% cacao chips to add to the healthy nature of this cookie recipe. Dark chocolate chips have more cacao in them than semi-sweet or milk chocolate. The cacao is filled with healthy minerals and antioxidants too. We also love the flavor of dark chocolate though all chocolate is delicious in my book.
These little cookies are very moist and taste so delicious no one will realize or maybe believe that they are on the healthy side. Maybe that means you can have a few extra.
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cups light olive oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups light or dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Dark 60% cacao chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl combine, granulated and brown sugar, olive oil, vanilla, and eggs. Mix until well combined.
- Add flour mixture about 1/3 at a time mixing well.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place cookie dough in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove and scoop out dough balls with a small cookie scoop.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, switching trays halfway through the baking process to cook evenly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 60 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.