This chocolate salted caramel thumbprint cookie recipe is based on an old family recipe with new yummy flavor combinations.
One of my favorite cookies that my mother used to make during the holidays was thumbprint cookies with buttercream icing. She used to let us help her roll the dough balls into the egg whites and nuts, and later pick colors for the icing to fill the center.
It's a good recipe and one that holds up well in the freezer. So I thought about making a variation using one of my new favorite flavor combinations and make a chocolate salted caramel thumbprint cookie.
This is basically the same recipe with cocoa powder and caramel in the center. I used caramel candies but I think you might be able to get away with caramel sauce.
One thing I will mention is the caramel candies melt in the microwave but they also harden pretty quickly. In fact, you might want to melt it in batches to make filling the centers a little easier.
You could fill them with caramel and be done but I really love the taste of coarse salt on the top. I picked up a bag at an Italian grocery downtown but you should be able to find some at your local grocery store.
This recipe makes around 3 dozen cookies and you can easily double the recipe if you want extra or are making a bunch for a cookie swap.
They certainly take more time than your typical chocolate chip cookie but they are well worth it.
In fact, I don't know why we save them for the holidays because they would be wonderful all year long.
Chocolate Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 eggs separating the whites from the yolks
- 1 1/2 c walnuts finely chopped
- 20 caramels
- 2-4 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1/8 cup coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Separate the eggs placing the yolks in a large mixing bowl and the whites in a large shallow bowl or pan.
- Chop walnuts and place in another large shallow bowl or pan.
- Add butter, sugar, vanilla and salt to the egg yolks. Mix well.
- Add flour in batches until well combined.
- Use a small cookie scoop or teaspoon to make ball of dough.
- cover them in the egg whites and then roll them into the nuts.
- Place them on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove and press your thumb in the middle of each cookie.
- Place back into the oven for 7 more minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Meanwhile unwrap caramels and place in the microwave at 20-30 sec increments until they start to melt.
- Add milk or cream to thin out the caramel sauce.
- Spoon caramel into the middle of each cookie.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt.