This recipe for heart-shaped sandwich chocolate heart buttercream cookies is easy to make. It’s filled with pink buttercream icing and makes about 2 dozen cookies.
I’ve been thinking about making homemade Oreo-like cookies, so when I came across a heart-shaped cookie cutter in one of our drawers, I thought; why not make chocolate heart buttercream cookies for Valentine’s Day?
My idea was to make a thin chocolate cookie that was somewhat crispy, like an Oreo. I used a basic sugar cookie recipe and substituted half of the flour with good cocoa powder.
The filling is the same recipe I used in my thumbprint cookie icing recipe. I was pretty frugal with the icing here, however, you could easily double the recipe and make the filling nice and thick.
The cutout cocoa hearts were pretty tasty by themselves, but not super sweet.
On their own, they would be more suited for dunking in coffee or milk.
Chocolate Hearth Buttercream Cookie Options:
- Change the type of cocoa you use. Any type would work but I think they all taste a bit different.
- Don’t color the buttercream. I really like brown and pink together but white or cream would look good too.
- Make the cookies thicker. They don’t need to be thin, but you may need to bake them for a few more minutes.
- Add flavor to the buttercream. Perhaps peppermint or almond extract would add a whole new taste combo.
The buttery rich icing with thin chocolate hearts, in my opinion, has just the right balance of sweetness.
It’s not too sweet, but hey, it is a cookie.
P.S. If you are looking for a special dessert for Valentine’s day you might enjoy my Fancy Chocolate Charlotte Cake Recipe. Growing up my mom would sometime just make a simple Dutch Apple Pie. Not as fancy but a delicious homemade treat any time of year.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl combine butter and sugar.
- Mix together on medium speed until well combined
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Then add the vanilla and mix well.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix well.
- Continue with another 1/3 and then the final portion until the dough is well mixed.
- Split the dough into 2 pieces.
- Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove one of the sections of dough and roll out on a well floured surface.
- Dip the cookie cutter into flour to prevent sticking and cut out shapes.
- Fill two baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes.
- Then switch the pans, moving the one on the top rack to the bottom, and the one on the bottom to the top.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer warm cookies to a cooling rack or tea towel.
- Once cool, fill with buttercream icing and serve or place in a covered container.
Amount Per Serving Calories 164 Total Fat 9g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 36mg Sodium 77mg Carbohydrates 20g Fiber 1g Sugar 13g Protein 2g