These mini heart cinnamon roll cakes make a great treat filled with a cinnamon sugar swirl and topped with a sweet glaze and pink sparkles.
Valentine's Day is the perfect excuse to bake some sweets. A while back I made some yummy chocolate heart cookies filled with pink buttercream frosting.
Today I'm putting a spin on a classic cinnamon roll but making it into a cute little heart. This way you can feel okay eating them for breakfast too.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there's no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Mini Cinnamon Heart Cakes
It all starts with these super fun heart-shaped baking cups. They are reusable and very flexible so it's pretty easy to pop out your cakes once they have had a chance to cool for a bit.
To get the classic cinnamon roll taste, I made a separate cinnamon sugar mix which was placed on top of the batter.
Then I used a toothpick to swirl the cinnamon sugar and batter together.
This is what they look like when they come out of the oven. Looks like at least one had a little too much batter.
Now, you can leave them like that but I decided to flip them over and drizzle a glaze on top. Then a little pink sanding sugar added to the glaze for a holiday look.
This recipe only makes a dozen cakes and that's exactly the number of baking cups I have so that worked out well. Unfortunately, we loved them so much I kind of wish it made more.
P.S. Chocolate heart cookies filled with pink buttercream icing are another great Valentine's treat. For something a little fancier try making a Chocolate Charlotte cake. It's a little like a chocolate mousse cake with pretty ladyfingers around the rim.
Mini Heart Cinnamon Roll Cakes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon milk
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- To make the cake, cream together sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl mix the cinnamon butter and sugar together for the filling
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet batter in 2 or 3 batches and mix together.
- Try not to mix it too much. Just enough to blend the two mixes together.
- Place the heart shaped baking cups on a baking sheet.
- Fill the cups 1/2 way with the batter
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top and using a toothpick swirl the two mixes together.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Move cups to a cooling rack and allow to cool for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the cups by turning them upside down and gently pinching the cups all around and coaxing them out of the cups.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Top with glaze and sprinkles
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.