These mini heart cinnamon roll cakes make a great treat filled with a cinnamon sugar swirl and topped with a sweet glaze and pink sparkles.
Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to bake some sweets. A while back I made some yummy chocolate heart cookies filled with pink buttercream frosting.
Today I’m putting a spin on a classic cinnamon roll but making it into a cute little heart. This way you can feel okay eating them for breakfast too.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Mini Cinnamon Heart Cakes
It all starts with these super fun heart-shaped baking cups. They are reusable and very flexible so it’s pretty easy to pop out your cakes once they have had a chance to cool for a bit.
To get the classic cinnamon roll taste, I made a separate cinnamon sugar mix which was placed on top of the batter.
Then I used a toothpick to swirl the cinnamon sugar and batter together.
This is what they look like when they come out of the oven. Looks like at least one had a little too much batter.
Now, you can leave them like that but I decided to flip them over and drizzle a glaze on top. Then a little pink sanding sugar added to the glaze for a holiday look.
This recipe only makes a dozen cakes and that’s exactly the number of baking cups I have so that worked out well. Unfortunately, we loved them so much I kind of wish it made more.
P.S. Chocolate heart cookies filled with pink buttercream icing are another great Valentine’s treat. For something a little fancier try making a Chocolate Charlotte cake. It’s a little like a chocolate mousse cake with pretty ladyfingers around the rim.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon milk
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- To make the cake, cream together sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl mix the cinnamon butter and sugar together for the filling
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet batter in 2 or 3 batches and mix together.
- Try not to mix it too much. Just enough to blend the two mixes together.
- Place the heart shaped baking cups on a baking sheet.
- Fill the cups 1/2 way with the batter
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top and using a toothpick swirl the two mixes together.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Move cups to a cooling rack and allow to cool for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the cups by turning them upside down and gently pinching the cups all around and coaxing them out of the cups.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Top with glaze and sprinkles
Amount Per Serving Calories 205 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 46mg Sodium 360mg Carbohydrates 34g Fiber 1g Sugar 21g Protein 3g