Learn how to create a homemade hand salve. Great for and dry cracked skin, perfect for gardeners, and makes a special Mother's Day gift.
I'm making a nice hand salve for Mother's Day gifts this year. Almost every year, my sisters and sisters-in-law get together, at my oldest sister's mother-in-law's house, to celebrate Mother's Day. We order P.F. Chang's, which one of the guys picks up so no one has to cook, and I always buy or make a small gift for all the moms.
Gardener's Bliss Homemade Hand Salve
This year, I thought I'd make a nice hand salve for use after a hard days work in the garden, or really anytime. Originally I wanted to add jewelweed extract. You may remember from your Girl Scout (or Boy Scout) days that jewelweed, Impatiens capensis, aka Touch-Me-Not or Whistle Weed, has the ability to relieve skin irritations from insect bites and even poison ivy.
If you notice, many commercial soaps and sprays have jewelweed as the main ingredient. However, since the extract is made with water and alcohol, I had a really hard time incorporating the extract into the salve.
Update: I have since made a Homemade Jewelweed Salve by infusing oil with the plant in the summer.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Hand Salve Supplies
How to Make Hand Salve
- First, place the wax, coconut oil and olive oil in a large glass measuring cup. You could also use a clean large glass jar.
- Then place the measuring cup in a pot of simmering water.
- Stir occasionally as the ingredients melt into a nice liquid.
- While you are waiting, take the time to place the essential oils into your glass jars.
- Once the wax and coconut oil is melted, dip a spoon into the liquid and then place it in the freezer for a minute, to see what the consistency is like. If you would prefer it to be thicker, add more beeswax. Add more oil if you want it to be thinner.
- Then, remove the measuring cup from the water and let it sit to cool slightly, just a couple of minutes.
- Next, add your vitamin E by pricking the capsule with a pin and squeezing the oil into the salve mixture.
- Stir and pour into the glass jars. This recipe filled exactly eight 2 oz. jars.
There are many recipes out there for this type of salve, basically combining beeswax and oils in varying amounts, depending on how thick you want the final product. Essential oils for healing properties and scent are almost always included. Still, many people go the extra mile and add a few other goodies.
Hand Salve Options and Extras
- Honey - Said to be healing to the skin
- Carrier Oils - Sweet Almond, Jojoba, Sunflower Oil, and many more. They vary in texture, scent and shelf life
- Infused Base Oils - Infuse a carrier oil with plants like calendula petals or comfrey
- Cocoa butter or shea butter
Take this recipe and go on from there to experiment and create a unique batch of your own. Keep a couple and share the rest with your favorite people.
- Beeswax Pellets
- Coconut Oil
- Essential Oils
- Vitamin E Capsules
- Olive Oil
- Glass Jars with Lids
- Place the wax, coconut oil and olive oil in a large glass measuring cup.
- Place the measuring cup in a pot of simmering water.
- Stir occasionally as the ingredients melt into liquid.
- Place the essential oils into your glass jars.
- Once the wax and coconut oil is melted, dip a spoon into the liquid and place it in the freezer for a minute, to test the consistency.
- Add more beeswax and oil if needed.
- Remove the measuring cup from the water.
- Let it sit to cool slightly.
- Add your vitamin E by pricking the capsule with a pin and squeezing the oil into the salve mixture.
- Stir and pour into the glass jars.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
2 Ounce Glass Jars with Black Dome Twist Lined Lids with Gift Card & Envelope (6 Pack, Clear)
Nature Made Vitamin E 180 mg (400 IU) dl-Alpha Softgels, 100 Count for Antioxidant Support
NOW Essential Oils, Lavender Oil, Soothing Aromatherapy Scent, Steam Distilled, 100% Pure, Vegan, Child Resistant Cap, 1-Ounce
Nature's Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Pure & Unrefined, Cold-Pressed, USDA Organic, Non-GMO, 32 Ounce
1-lb Pure White BEESWAX Pellets-100% Pure