Caprese quinoa bake is a great way use up all the tomatoes and basil you are harvesting, and makes the perfect picnic or potluck dish.
What do you do at the end of summer when you have a lot of tomatoes and fresh basil? I love to make pasta with them, but in an attempt to make something new, and perhaps a bit healthier I recently made a caprese quinoa bake instead.
Quinoa is becoming a popular grain, and though it is really a seed, provides that nice base for tasty recipes and combining flavors. More importantly, it is considered a complete protein, provides a good dose of Omega-3s, and fiber, along with a host of other vitamins and minerals.
If you love Italian food, you've probably notice Insalata Caprese, or Caprese Salad, on the menu. This flavor profile of tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella is becoming more popular in so many dishes. I love to make a panini with this trio, and as I mentioned before they are great in pasta. It's no wonder they work so well with quinoa too.
Caprese Quinoa Bake Recipe
You can substitute the quinoa with pasta, such as orzo if you want. However, I recommend you try quinoa. It tastes great and has so many health benefits. You owe it to yourself to at least give it a chance.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes diced
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped finely
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions
- Saute the garlic, tomatoes in the olive oil for a few minutes on medium heat, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the basil, stir and remove from heat.
- Add the tomatoes and basil to the cooked quinoa.
- Stir in the cheese and transfer to serving bowl.
- Garnish with a slice of tomato, cheese and a few basil leaves.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.