Learn an easy way to make stuffed cabbage soup using the same ingredients in stuffed cabbage rolls without all the extra work.
Growing up in Pittsburgh I was lucky enough to have stuffed cabbage rolls at many family functions, pot luck dinners, graduation parties even weddings. A great traditional dish in many eastern European households which is sometimes called Halupki, stuffed cabbage rolls hits the top of the comfort food charts and will fill your belly and keep you warm for hours. This stuffed cabbage soup gives you all the flavors of the rolls without all the work.
Although I enjoy eating them very much, I have only made them a few times. The art of making stuffed cabbage rolls requires time and patience, cutting the large vein, combining the right ratio of meat to rice and probably the most important step the actual rolling of the cabbage is no easy task.
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
However, this is stuffed cabbage soup which has a similar taste but it is much easier to make. As I find myself saying with most of the recipes I share, you can vary this one to fit your likes and needs.
Stuffed Cabbage Soup Variations
- Make it low carb diet by skipping the rice.
- If you like a thick casserole-like dish add extra rice.
- If you do not like to eat red meat you can cut back or skip it but I think it really loses its flavor without some ground beef.
The recipe makes a huge pot of soup. Enough to feed a crowd of hungry people. Certainly enough to freeze for a future meal, which is usually what I do. Enjoy.
P.S. This recipe can be made into a casserole. See my Stuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole for a similar delicious dish. If you are looking for some other great soup ideas try my Easy Cream of Crab Soup. Or, you may like my easy Seafood Jambalaya, great one-pot meal.
- 1 large head of cabbage - cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb . lean ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 lg can of V8 or Vegetable juice 46 oz
- 2 - 3 small cans beef broth
- 1 - 2 cups rice
- 1 lg can diced tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- Saute onion for a few minutes in oil
- Add ground beef
- Once beef in browned add cabbage, tomatoes, vegetable juice, broth and rice
- Add water to just cover the cabbage if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil and then turn to low for 45 min - 1 hour stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat to cool and serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 169 Total Fat 6g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 40mg Sodium 448mg Carbohydrates 13g Fiber 1g Sugar 3g Protein 15g