These fresh cranberry pistachio cookies are very easy to make and are the perfect festive treat for your Christmas dessert tray.
Fresh cranberries are so delicious. Every year I make cranberry shortbread cookies and this holiday season I thought I'd try to make cake cookies.
Have you heard of these? They are cookies that you make with a box cake mix.
Since cranberries are in season and they look so festive I made cranberry pistachio cookies. They are not only tasty but they have a great red and green festive holiday look.
One of the things I like about these cookies is that they stay small when you bake them. Just the right size to pop in your mouth.
The cream cheese keeps them moist for days and though I haven't done it yet, my guess is that they would freeze well. And, the recipe makes four dozen which can easily be doubled for your Christmas cookie swap.
Once again, just like the shortbread cookies, using fresh cranberries gave these cookies a nice tart flavor. You definitely don't need to use dried cranberries that are full of extra sugar.
However, if that's all you have I believe that you probably could substitute the fresh with dried cranberries.
It was fun using cake mix to make the fresh cranberry pistachio cookies. I wonder what other combinations I could make next time.
- White Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh cranberries chopped finely
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Chop cranberries and pistachios in a food processor.
- In a large bowl cream butter and cream cheese together.
- Add vanilla and egg. Mix well
- Add cake mix and mix well.
- Hand stir the cranberries and nuts into batter.
- Scoop out teaspoon sized balls of dough onto a cookies sheet.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes and then switch trays, moving the top tray to the bottom rack and the bottom tray to the top. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes more or until the cookies start to get a little golden brown on the top.
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet.
- Remove from cooking sheet onto a backing rack or towel to finish cooling.
- Once cooled wrap and store or serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 42mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g