This recipe for scented geranium cake is so easy to make and adds a subtle flowery taste to a pound cake or other box mix.
Have you ever heard of a scented geranium cake? It's great for a lady's lunch or tea, or even for a small baby or wedding shower. Here, I am using scented geraniums, similar to the ever popular large colorful flowered nursery hybrids, however, these plants have strongly scented leaves and very small flowers.
Since my rose-scented geranium was growing out of control from the winter, I thought I'd make use of some of the rose geranium leaves, and make a cake. You can make any type of cake mix you'd like. I'm even using a box mix to make this dessert even easier.
I chose a pound cake because it is dense and rich and holds up to the fragrant taste of the geranium leaves.
How to Make a Scented Geranium Cake
- All you have to do is wash and dry a few geranium leaves.
- Grease and flour the bottom of your pan and set the leaves in a nice pattern on the bottom.
- Slowly pour the cake mix on top and bake.
After the cake has cooled gently invert and remove the leaves.
Whisk up a little lemon glaze to drizzle on top.
The floral notes are really light and add something little different that works really well with desserts.
P.S. For the scented geranium cake recipe, I used lemon and rose leaves. To learn more about scented geranium plants check out my post titled, Scented Geraniums, Another Fragrant Beauty. You may also be interested in Entertaining with Edible Flowers.
- 1 box cake mix
- Scented geranium leaves washed and driedGlaze
- 1/4 - 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Grease and flour your pan(s)
- Set the scented geranium leaves on the bottom face down.
- Mix the cake batter according to the directions
- Carefully pour over the leaves.
- Bake as directed.
- Allow to cool slightly and invert onto a plate.
- Turn back over revealing the leaves
- Gently remove the leaves with a toothpick
- Whisk together sugar and lemon juice
- Drizzle over cake and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 477mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.