This slow cooker chicken cassoulet recipe, is filled with rich bold flavors, and simple ingredients inspired by the French countryside.
Lately my family and I have been talking about going to the south of France for vacation. My brother will be celebrating his 50th birthday, and he's a huge wine aficionado. There are plenty of places we could go, however, the French countryside is high on the list.
I personally have never been there, but have so admired reading about the area in books, and seeing it portrayed in movies. Have you seen "A Perfect Year?" It's fantastic! I've watched it several times.
All this talk of the south of France had me thinking of creating a rich, hearty peasant dish, filled with simple ingredients, like a traditional cassoulet. However, to save time, and to keep it on the healthy side, I made this in a slow cooker, with chicken legs and thighs, instead of duck and sausages. I also used canned beans but you could buy dried beans if you like, and soak them overnight.
I love how easy the slow cooker makes my life, but sometimes it doesn't have the same depth of flavor that you can get from a Dutch Oven on the stove. However, I do think you can compensate by incorporating herbs, spices, and sauces to the dish. To enhance this cassoulet I added Holland House Red Cooking Wine. It adds a nice bold flavor boost, and is something I normally have on hand in the pantry.
I also added a bundle of fresh herbs from the garden just like I did in my Beef Stew Recipe.
Bonus: This smells wonderful throughout the house all day.
When it's done you can serve it in large individual bowls with toasted slices of baguette. I can't wait to visit the French countryside, but for now we'll enjoy this cassoulet.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cassoulet
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic slightly smashed
- 3 large carrots sliced in 1-2 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 pkg chicken legs (4-6)
- 1 pkg chicken thighs (4 boneless, skinless)
- 4 large fresh plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 15 oz. cans Great Northern Beans
- 1 cup Holland House Red Cooking Wine
- 1 bunch fresh herbs (parsley & thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a slow cooker combine, garlic, onion, carrots and celery.
- Arrange chicken pieces on top of vegetables.
- Add tomatoes and beans.
- Pour wine over the top.
- Add the herb bouquet and cook for 4 hours on high or 7 on low.
- Add the tomato paste and stir. Recover and cook for 1 hour.
- Serve with toasted baguette slices.
A big Thank You to Holland House Cooking Wine for sponsoring this post!