This harvest vegetable beef stew recipe is so delicious. Made in a slow cooker, it's a great way to use up a ton a fresh vegetables with very little work.
this post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy
What do you do when you have a bunch of vegetables on hand, and you know that they are going to spoil soon if you don't make something with them? How about a hearty and simple harvest vegetable beef stew? I had a handful of great harvest veggies from the CSA and I knew that I needed to find a way to cook them soon, but with our schedules timing was an issue.
Here's what I had on hand. A whole bowl of veggies. The simple solution was to make stew. Soup is another option, but I knew that a stew would allow me to cook them all in a slow cooker, with less prep time, and provide a nice hearty meal with plenty left over.
One of the things I like to add to many soups and stews is fresh herbs. For some reason I prefer thyme with vegetable and beef stew. All you have to do is wash it, and place a rubber band around the bunch.
Then toss it on top of the stew. The rubber band will tighten as the bunch cooks up and when the stew it finished cooking, you can toss out what's left.
Harvest Vegetable Beef Stew
My other little tip is to add in a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste near the end. It helps thicken the stew and adds a nice bright flavor.
Super easy, hearty, healthy and wholesome. How's that for an alliteration of deliciousness?
Harvest Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe:
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 eggplant peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 2 carrots cleaned and chopped in to bit size pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cleaned and sliced
- 1 rutabaga peeled and sliced thin
- 1 summer squash, cleaned and chopped into bit size pieces
- 5 small tomatoes
- 2 small white potatoes, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 small sweet potatoes, chopped into bit size pieces
- 1 large bunch of fresh thyme
- large pinch salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a large slow cooker combine all vegetables.
- Place beef cubes on top.
- Place a rubber band around the thyme and place on top of beef.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours
- Add tomato paste and stir.
- Cook for an addition hour, then serve
You May Also Like: