This easy seafood stew recipe is perfect for lunch or brunch, and hearty enough for dinner. Keep it light and healthy, or add a little cream to make it extra rich and creamy.
Seafood Stew Made Easy
I've been trying to incorporate more and more seafood into our diet. It's healthy, and we really like seafood. Unfortunately it's not always easy to get good, fresh seafood where we live. However, I found that when you are making soups and casseroles, you can get away with frozen items, that taste just as good. Case in point is this easy seafood stew, which I made with frozen cod, shrimp and canned clams.
The shrimp was also frozen and pre-cooked. These are items that you should be able to buy at any supermarket.
Of course you can change it up and use different types of fish. I like cod because it's readily available, a little on the meatier side, and has a very light taste. Onions, carrots and celery typical to many soups and stews make up the base.
I also used fingerling potatoes in this stew. Mainly because they are so cute, but also because they are easily rinsed off and sliced up skin and all. You could use any thinned skin potato, such as white or red new potatoes. Just make sure that you chop them into bite sized pieces. If you use russet potatoes, I'd suggest peeling the skins first.
If you'd like, you can make this more of a bisque or chowder, by adding 1/2 cup of heavy cream at the end, but it really doesn't need it.
Serve with lemon wedges, a nice side salad, or a crusty baguette and you have a great healthy and delicious meal.
- 1 pound cod fillets - frozen or fresh- sliced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pound medium shrimp- frozen pre-cooked
- 6.5 ounce canned clams
- 1 quart seafood broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 pound fingerling potatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- lemon wedges
- Saute onion, carrots and celery in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil for about 3-5 minutes until vegetables softened.
- Add, broth, potatoes, bay leaf, wine and salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add fish. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the fish is nice and opaque.
- Add shrimp, clams and parsley. Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Remove bay leaf and serve with lemon wedges.
You May Also Like: