This strawberry pretzel parfait combines fresh strawberries, creamy cheese, and a pretzel crust in layers to make a fancy one serving treat.
Growing up it was common to have someone bring a dish we all called Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad to a potluck dinner. It's really more of a dessert, more of a strawberry pretzel parfait, to me than a salad but I guess since it had jello it was fair game for a jello salad. I remember when we lived in Tennessee for a short while and I brought the Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad. Everyone wanted the recipe and I thought it was funny that they had never had this common neighborhood treat. So I pulled out my old local cookbook and happily shared the recipe with the group.
It is this recipe that I used to come up with a fun Easter treat this year. I was serving 16-20 people and I wanted to use some the fresh strawberries that I noticed in the market coming up from the south.
I decided to make individual parfaits with some of the same ingredients as the famous salad. However, I did not use the jello. It just seemed like too much work and since I was serving Easter dinner for a fairly big crowd I had to make it doable.
It turned out great and was easily done in the afternoon. The only problem was the refrigerator space.
- 4 c crushed pretzels
- 1 1/2 c melted butter
- 5 Tablespoons butter
Cream Cheese Layer
- 2 - 8 oz . packages of cream cheese softened
- 2 - 8 oz . containers of cool whip
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 cups fresh strawberries cleaned and sliced
- 1 c sugar
Decoration on Top
- Dollop of cool whip with a slice of strawberry
- Mix each layer together in a separate bowl.
- Use about 2 Tablespoons of the pretzel mix and press into the bottom of an 8 oz plastic cup.
- Next add the cream cheese mixture, followed by the strawberries.
- Top off with a dollop of cool whip and a strawberry slice.