This sweet potato sausage egg fry up is perfect for a large weekend breakfast or brunch, and is something you may love for a mid-week dinner.
My husband used to make something like this for me in college. His version had scrambled eggs in it. However, ever since I watched Jamie Oliver make his "fry-up," I started using fried or "dippy" eggs, as my kids would call it, instead of scrambled.
I'm using sweet potatoes because they are healthier than white potatoes but you could use any kind. I like to cook them a little first to speed up the process. I use a microwave to pre-cook the potatoes, but you could easily boil them instead.
It's all a matter of what you like. Change up the sausage and use a hot Italian blend, a chicken or tofu mix. In fact, the term "fry up" comes from a traditional English breakfast, which includes these and several other ingredients, such as tomatoes, beans and black pudding aka blood sausage. Toast will be a good complement to help sop up all the yummy goodness, but I tend to leave it out for a lower carb meal.
Sweet Potato Sausage Egg Fry Up
Breakfast for dinner? Why not?
It definitely makes a wonderful breakfast or brunch on a relaxing weekend.
- 1 lb Sweet Potatoes - peeled and diced
- 1 lb Breakfast sausage
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the sweet potatoes in the microwave to partially cook for about 3-5 mins.
- In a large skillet brown the sausage. Drain excess fat
- Add potatoes and saute together with the sausage for a few minutes.
- Make space with a spoon for the eggs.
- Crack eggs into openings. Cover and cook until the eggs are done, about 5 minutes.