Learn how to make this simple leftover egg, ham and potato casserole. The perfect comfort food and a traditional dish from Hungary called Rakott Krumpli.
When I was in college one of my friends invited us to dinner at her Hungarian grandmother's home. I remember that she made the most delicious potato egg and ham casserole.
Thanks to the power of the internet I believe this dish is called Rakott Krumpli. Easter dinner at our house left us plenty of ham and boiled eggs so I thought I would try to make this casserole myself.
Leftover Egg, Ham and Potato Casserole
There are many recipes on the internet for this dish but overall basically the same. It reminded me of my scalloped potato recipe.
You simply layer sliced boiled potatoes, sliced eggs, thinly sliced ham and sour cream in a buttered casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake removing the foil at the end until the top is golden brown.
A couple of the recipes called for paprika, a traditional Hungarian spice, and some added cheddar cheese to the top and since I had a nice white cheddar on hand I decided to add it as well.
I have to say it turned out great and I will definitely be making this again. I can't believe I waited so long to try it.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 c thinly sliced cooked ham or sausage
- 1 pint sour cream
- ½ c grated white cheddar
- salt, , pepper and paprika to taste
- Boil potatoes, then peel and slice them to about ¼ inch thick.
- Slice eggs with an egg slicer
- Butter a casserole dish
- Place a layer of potatoes in the bottom (1/3)
- Place ½ of the eggs onto the potatoes
- Then layer ½ of the ham
- Then about ⅓ of sour cream
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika
- Next layer half of the remaining potatoes
- Layer the remaining eggs
- Layer the remaining ham
- ½ of the remaining sour cream
- more salt, pepper and paprika
- The remaining potatoes
- The remaining sour cream
- More salt, pepper and paprika
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top
- Cover with foil and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue cooking until top is golden.
- Let cool and serve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 518Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 274mgSodium: 795mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 26g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.