Learn how to make this simple potato egg and ham casserole made with leftovers. The perfect comfort food and a traditional dish from Hungary.
When I was in college one of my friends invited us to dinner at her Hungarian grandmother’s home. I remember that she made the most delicious potato egg and ham casserole. Thanks to the power of the internet I believe this dish is called Rakott Krumpli. Hosting Easter dinner at our house left us plenty of ham and boiled eggs so I thought I would try to make this casserole myself.
There are many recipes on the internet for this dish but overall basically the same. I reminded me of my scalloped potato recipe. You simply layer sliced boiled potatoes, sliced eggs, thinly sliced ham and sour cream in a buttered casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake removing the foil at the end to until the top is golden brown.
A couple of the recipes called for paprika, a traditional Hungarian spice, and some added cheddar cheese to the top and since I had a nice white cheddar on hand I decided to add it as well. I have to say it turned out great and I will definitely be making this again. I can’t believe I waited so long to try it.
Potato Egg and Ham Casserole Comfort Food
Here’s the Recipe:
- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 c thinly sliced cooked ham or sausage
- 1 pint sour cream
- ½ c grated white cheddar
- salt, , pepper and paprika to taste
- Boil potatoes, then peel and slice them to about ¼ inch thick.
- Slice eggs with an egg slicer
- Butter a casserole dish
- Place a layer of potatoes in the bottom (1/3)
- Place ½ of the eggs onto the potatoes
- Then layer ½ of the ham
- Then about ⅓ of sour cream
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika
- Next layer half of the remaining potatoes
- Layer the remaining eggs
- Layer the remaining hams
- ½ of the remaining sour cream
- more salt, pepper and paprika
- The remaining potatoes
- The remaining sour cream
- More salt, pepper and paprika
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top
- Cover with foil and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue cooking until top is golden.
- Let cool and serve