Here's a flavorful winter salad recipe that has mixed greens, pickled radishes, red onions and a tasty vinaigrette you'll love.
I was asked to bring a salad to my sister's for Christmas Eve. Even though it hasn't been very cold here in Pennsylvania yet, I wanted to make a winter salad with bold flavors that I thought everyone would enjoy.
Robust Winter Salad Recipe
It started with this package of beautiful rainbow radishes I found at Trader Joes.
I took the radishes and some red onion and pickled them the week before. I kept the small jar for our house and gave the remaining radishes and onions to my sister as a gift.
You can easily pickle any vegetables with this simple technique and since I don't add sugar they are totally guilt-free.
I love the bright colors of the pickled onions and radishes. They look great on the salad and have a nice subtle flavor.
The pickling tones down the harshness of raw onions and radishes which my husband really likes. However, if you enjoy raw onions and radishes you can add them in the mix too.
For this salad, I made an easy vinaigrette with red wine vinegar and olive oil. The recipe below is about half this bottle. Even then I think I only used about 1/2 of the recipe.
I think it's always better to go light with your dressing, toss well, and then check to see if you need to add more.
For presentation, you may want to hold back some of the pickled vegetables, nuts, and cheese, Then set them on top after you have tossed the salad with the dressing.
The result is a fresh and light salad with touches of bold flavors and crunchy textures.
Just the way we like it.
Robust Winter Salad with Red Wine Vinegar Dressing
- 2 bags spring mix greens 20 oz
- 1 head of romaine lettuce chopped
- 6 - 8 Pickled radishes
- 1 pickled red onion sliced 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
Red Wine Vinegar Dressing
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- In a large bowl combine greens and romaine lettuce.
- Slice the pickled radishes thinly and separate the pickled onion. Toss on top of greens.
- Add pecans
- Crumble the Gorgonzola cheese over the top.
Red Wine Vinegar Dressing
- 1. Combine all ingredients into a small mason jar.
- 2. Shake well and pour about 1/4 onto the salad.
- 3. Toss well and taste to see if you want to add more dressing.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.