This tasty Fattoush recipe is also known as middle eastern bread salad. Just a few simple ingredients and a delicious tangy dressing for a great tasty dish.
This Fattoush recipe is easy to put together with a few key ingredients that make it unique, fresh, and tasty. Also known as Middle Eastern bread salad, a Lebanese salad with toasted or fried bits of pita bread.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) i.e. as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Arabic Fattoush Salad
It starts like many salads with greens and fresh vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers. Often it is described as a bread salad because it contains pita bread, however, there are a few other ingredients that give this salad lots of flavor.
Fresh flat leaf parsley and fresh mint are two additional ingredients that make this salad unique. If you are familiar with Tabbouleh salad, another well known Arabic dish, then the addition of parsley and mint makes sense.
The other unique ingredient is ground sumac. Sumac has a great tart, lemony taste that, in my opinion, makes this dish. I even make this dressing to use on a regular everyday tossed salad. It has a pretty dark red color and is often sprinkled on top of dips like hummus or baba ganoush.
I haven't seen ground sumac in the grocery stores around my house, but it is available in many middle eastern groceries or even online.
If you enjoy salads and lemony tart flavors, then this recipe is for you. Try serving this at your next family get together for something a little different and bursting with flavor.
Fattoush Recipe aka Bread Salad
- 2 small pitas cut into small pieces
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/8 c chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 c chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 seedless English cucumber sliced.
- 1/4 c red onion diced
- 1/2 c fresh lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- Toast the pita pieces in a single layer in the oven under the broiler on both sides for about 3 minutes
- In a large bowl combine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions.
- Add parsley and mint leaves.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, sumac, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the bowl of greens and toss.
- Top with pita.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.