Learn about this tasty middle eastern bread salad known as Fattoush. Using a few unique ingredients for a tangy and tasty dish.
This post contains some affiliate links (that means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, there’s no additional cost to you, but I will earn a very small commission. ) Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Middle Eastern Bread Salad
It starts like many salads with greens and vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers. Often it is described as a bread salad because it contains pita bread, however, there are a few other ingredients that give this salad lots of flavor.
Fresh flat leaf parsley and fresh mint are two additional ingredients which make this salad unique. If you are familiar with Tabbouleh salad, another well known middle eastern dish, then the addition of parsley and mint makes sense.
The other unique ingredient is ground sumac. Sumac has a great tart, lemony flavor that, in my opinion, makes this dish. I even make this dressing to use on a regular everyday tossed salad. It has a pretty dark red color and is often sprinkled it on top of dips like hummus or baba ganoush.
I haven’t seen ground sumac in the grocery stores around my house, but it is available in many middle eastern groceries or even online.
If you enjoy salads and lemony tart flavors, then this recipe is for you. Try serving this at your next family get together for something a little different and bursting with flavor.
Everyone will be glad you did.
- 2 small pitas, cut into small pieces
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/8 c chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 c chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 seedless cucumber sliced.
- 1/4 c red onion diced
- 1/2 c fresh lemon juice, about 2 lemons
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- Toast the pita pieces under the broiler on both sides for about 3 minutes
- In a large bowl combine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions.
- Add parsley and mint leaves.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, olive oil, sumac, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the bowl of greens and toss.
- Top with pita.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.