If you enjoy Lebanese cuisine then you will love Lubee, aka Lubia or Lubieh. A simple, hearty green bean, tomato, and beef stew.
I grew up eating Lebanese food. My grandmother used to have us over for dinner every Wednesday and she only made traditional Lebanese food. Only once can I remember that she made pizza but it was like no other pizza I had ever had. Still really good.
I have shared some of my families recipes on this blog and today I’m sharing one of the easiest recipes I’ve been cooking for a long time. It’s called Lubee, a delicious stew made with green beans, tomato sauce, and beef.
Like many middle eastern recipes, Lubee has that distinct hint of cinnamon. This is typically added along with salt and pepper while browning the beef.
My mother often used top round steak. However, you can make this with lamb or different cuts of beef. You could also make it vegetarian by leaving the meat out all together.
I’m not sure why but she always told me to use a small can of tomato paste and then add water to make a sauce.
This can be made in a slow cooker or in an instant pot but I usually make it on the stove in a heavy pot.
We always serve Lube with rice. We use long grain rice with turmeric added to the water. This gives you pretty golden rice that doesn’t stick together.
This is definitely one of my favorite Lebanese meals though Kibbeh and stuffed grape leaves are a close second.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 1 pound round steak or stew meat cut up
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 oz fresh green beans cut in half
- 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground corriander
- Saute the onion in olive oil until softened about 2 minutes.
- Add beef cubes, cinnamon, salt, pepper and 1/2 garlic (2 T)
- Saute stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until the beef is browned on all sides.
- Empty the can of tomato paste into a large measuring cup and add 4 cups of water. Stir well.
- Add the tomato sauce and green beans to the beef.
- Add additional water to cover the beans if needed.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low for about 1 hour.
- In a small container stir the remaining garlic and coriander together with a little bit of olive oil. About 1 teaspoon.
- Heat the garlic and coriander mixture in the microwave for 30 secs.
- Add the mixture to the pot. Stir well and serve.
I would serve this with rice. For this amount of Lubee probably 4 cups of cooked rice. We like Uncle Bens Original converted long grain rice. When you add the water also stir in pinch (about 1/4 teaspoon) of turmeric for a beautiful golden color.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 273 Total Fat 13g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 8g Cholesterol 82mg Sodium 150mg Carbohydrates 12g Fiber 3g Sugar 6g Protein 30g