This easy cake with strawberries and cream is light and flavorful. Perfect for a summer picnic or anytime you have ripe fresh strawberries. It's a sheet pan cake recipe with a box cake mix for a simple dessert that makes 16 nice portions.
You can buy produce in most grocery stores all year long. However, when you can get fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables the result is so much better.
It's almost strawberry season here but not quite yet. Still, we are getting some pretty good strawberries from the south. Sometimes these strawberries are not sweet enough. So, all you need to do is let them sit or macerate in a little sugar. Not only will the sugar sweeten the strawberries, but it will also soften the fruit and draw out some of the natural juices.
Making Strawberries and Cream Sheet Cake
This is a one-layer cake made in a sheet pan. I used a box mix and added a small box of vanilla pudding mix and an extra egg to make the cake extra moist.
After the strawberries had a chance to marinate in the sugar I chopped them up a little finer in a food processor.
This made them so easy to spread onto the cake.
The frosting is a basic whipped cream recipe with a little cream of tartar to stabilize the cream and help it hold its shape.
Keep one or more pretty berries to garnish the strawberry cake. You can make this easy fan shape by cutting little slices into the berry and stopping near the top. Then use the back of a fork or spoon and press gently to get the slices to fan out.
Strawberries have a sweet delicious flavor on their own. They are low in calories and are full of great nutrition value. Paired with a basic tasty cake and whipped cream frosting you'll have a wonderful fresh dessert that you can feel good about serving.
Strawberries and Cream Cake Recipe
- 32 ounces of strawberries chopped ~ 6 cups
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- White cake box mix
- Box of vanilla pudding mix 3.4 oz
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat cake mix with 1 cup water, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, a package of vanilla pudding mix, and 3 eggs.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Bake according to package directions, testing with a toothpick in the center that should come out clean when done.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- While the cake is baking clean and slice strawberries.
- Add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and let sit in a bowl for ten minutes.
- Then lightly chop in a food processor.
- Make the whipped cream frosting by combining 2 cups of heavy cream with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Beat on high using an electric mixer for about 4 to 5 minutes until you get stiff peaks. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once the cake is cool spread the strawberries over the top.
- Add the whipped cream frosting next by spooning large drops all over and using a spatula to gently spread it all over the top.
- Garnish with a fanned strawberry.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although attempts have been made to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.