These chive breadsticks are made without yeast and are so easy you will want to make them over and over again.
Chives are one of my favorite herbs to grow because they are easy and so tasty. When I saw this beautiful crop of chives flowering I knew I needed to make something with them.
How to Make No Yeast Chive Breadsticks
I decided to make chive breadsticks but since yeast is so hard to find I set out to make them without yeast.
The result is more of a flat breadstick and they are not "bready" at all. They are closer to a hard breadstick than the soft ones you find at Olive Garden.
The fresh chives were great and I can't wait to try this again with other herbs. Basil, rosemary and oregano all come to mind. Maybe a combination of all three.
You can serve these tasty treats as a side with any meal.
Or just serve them as a delicious appetizer with a small dish of marinara.
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a dough ball, kneading for a few minutes until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Roll out into a rectangle and then slice into 1 1/2 inch strips.
- Place on a greased baking pan with space in between slices.
- Brush liberally with butter.
- Add chives on top and gently press into dough.
- Sprinkle garlic salt on top.
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly and serve with marinara sauce.
This would work great with other herbs such as basil, rosemary, or oregano. You could even combine a few together for a mixed herbal breadstick.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 77Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.