It seems like many of you have enjoyed some of the basic recipes I make on a regular basis. So today I’m sharing my spaghetti casserole, originally made by my husband, from his childhood days. This definitely fits my definition of comfort food, and it’s really easy to make.
Easy Spaghetti Casserole
We make this with lean ground beef, crushed tomatoes, lots of cheese, and any short pasta noodle you like.
We do cook the pasta first, but then it is added to all the other ingredient in a large skillet. Sometimes we serve it just like this.
Other times we top it with extra cheese and bake it in the oven until golden brown.
Either way is yummy, and feeds a crowd. It also tastes great leftover for lunch or even a second dinner.
All you need is a little side salad and you are all set for a delicious meal.
- 1 pound short pasta noodle such as penne or ziti
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 - 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lg can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/2 of large onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese or Italian mix like provolone, asiago etc..
- Extra cheese to top if you want to bake it.
- Cook pasta al dente and drain
- Brown onions in olive oil until soft
- Add garlic and stir being careful not to let it burn.
- Add ground beef and cook until no pink is showing
- Add tomatoes, basil and oregano
- Stir and simmer for 5-10 mins
- Add cooked pasta and stir.
- Add cheese and stir.
- Serve or transfer to baking dish and top with more cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.