These DIY luminaries are easy and inexpensive to make with free printables and dollar store candles. A great addition to your Christmas decorations with beautiful vintage holiday and winter scenes.
You can easily add a little nostalgia to your Christmas decor with these vintage scene luminaries. Place them on the mantel, in the foyer, in the dining room, or anywhere you want to add a little festive holiday decoration.
These are the candles I bought for $1 each at the dollar store. They are sometimes called prayer candles and can sometimes be found in craft stores or online but they might be more expensive.
Making Christmas Candle Luminaries
What you will need:
- Glass candles from the dollar store
- Printed vintage winter scenes as shown below or any image you like
- Glue stick or double-sided tape
Above are the images I used for my luminaries. They are all in the public domain and free to use. You can print all six of the above vintage scenes for yourself. You can also find some great vintage Christmas prints on the Graphics Fairy site.
Cut the image to fit the candle and glue or tape the edges with double stick tape.
DIY Luminary Options
- Use different glass vases or empty jars and place your own candles real, or flameless, inside.
- Use different images such as black and white silhouettes. I think different house shapes would be fun.
- Use a different theme for the images. I like the idea of winter birds or other wildlife.
How to Display the Luminaries
- Place them as a group or split them up on your mantel. Consider using blocks of wood or other items to raise them up at different heights for a different look.
- They would also look great on a chest or table in your entry or foyer to greet your guests.
- Try some on your dining room buffet to add a little glow without getting in the way of the food.
I love the nostalgic festive feel these candles bring. Perfect for any Christmas decor.
Christmas Candle Luminaries
- Color printer
- Glue sticks or double faced tape.
- Dollar store tall glass candles.
- Vintage winter and Christmas scenes link in post
- Printer Paper
- Print out all of the winter scenes from the link in the post or any others you find and like.
- Cut the image to fit the candle.
- Use glue or double-faced tape to adhere the image to the candle.
- Place anywhere indoors.
- Light candles whenever you want.