This homemade granola recipe is one I often get requests for. It’s made with simple ingredients that you can vary to suit your taste.
This recipe is not new. In fact, it existed on a different page on this website for a while. However, I never actually wrote a post about it. Recently when I realized how popular it was I decided to give this granola recipe it’s own feature story.
It all started with a TV show I watched where the host made her own granola. She used raisins, both dark and white and I think different kinds of nuts in her recipe. Also, as I recall the original recipe required toasting the oats.
I eventually came up with the homemade granola recipe below. It has cranberries and pecans and the oats are added straight from the box.
The funny thing is I didn’t know just how much my friends liked this recipe. In fact, they ask me regularly to make it and I also end up bringing it to the beach for my family to enjoy.
Ways to Enjoy Homemade Granola
- The obvious is straight from the container as a snack.
- This granola is delicious on yogurt for breakfast or added to cereal.
- Add it to vanilla ice cream for a decadent dessert. (vanilla yogurt is pretty good too)
- Use it to top a pie or fruit crisp instead of the typically crumble topping.
- Use it to make a parfait with whip cream and fresh fruit.
Don’t care for cranberries or pecan? Make it any way you’d like. I bet it will taste great any way you decide to make it. This recipe makes 6 cups of granola but it’s pretty easy to double. I usually do that. Keep the extras in a sealed container. It should last for a few months.
- 4 cups Oats
- 3/4 cup Butter, (12 Tablespoons)
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- 2 Tablespoons of Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup Pecans, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Melt butter, brown sugar and honey on low heat.
- When it starts to bubble, mix in the cinnamon, nuts and cranberries.
- Then add the oats and mix well.
- Spread on a cookie sheet to cool.
Substitute your heart away with this recipe; use white raisins instead of cranberries or different kinds of nuts. Once I added chocolate chips.
Store in your favorite containers or bag up as gifts.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size .5 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 357 Total Fat 20g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 31mg Sodium 97mg Carbohydrates 44g Fiber 5g Sugar 23g Protein 5g