This homemade granola recipe is one I often get requests for. It’s made with simple ingredients that you can vary to suit your taste.
This recipe is not new. In fact, it existed on a different page on this website for a while. However, I never actually wrote a post about it. Recently when I realized how popular it was I decided to give this granola recipe it’s own feature story.
It all started with a TV show I watched where the host made her own granola. She used raisins, both dark and white and I think different kinds of nuts in her recipe. Also, as I recall the original recipe required toasting the oats.
I eventually came up with the homemade granola recipe below. It has cranberries and pecans and the oats are added straight from the box.
The funny thing is I didn’t know just how much my friends liked this recipe. In fact, they ask me regularly to make it and I also end up bringing it to the beach for my family to enjoy.
Ways to Enjoy Homemade Granola
- The obvious is straight from the container as a snack.
- This granola is delicious on yogurt for breakfast or added to cereal.
- Add it to vanilla ice cream for a decadent dessert. (vanilla yogurt is pretty good too)
- Use it to top a pie or fruit crisp instead of the typically crumble topping.
- Use it to make a parfait with whip cream and fresh fruit.
Don’t care for cranberries or pecan? Make it any way you’d like. I bet it will taste great any way you decide to make it. This recipe makes 6 cups of granola but it’s pretty easy to double. I usually do that. Keep the extras in a sealed container. It should last for a few months.
- 4 cups Oats
- 3/4 cup Butter, (12 Tablespoons)
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- 2 Tablespoons of Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup Pecans, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Melt butter, brown sugar and honey on low heat.
- When it starts to bubble, mix in the cinnamon, nuts and cranberries.
- Then add the oats and mix well.
- Spread on a cookie sheet to cool.
Substitute your heart away with this recipe; use white raisins instead of cranberries or different kinds of nuts. Once I added chocolate chips.
Store in your favorite containers or bag up as gifts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: .5 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 5gSugar: 23gProtein: 5g