This homemade ricotta cheese recipe is easy to make. All you need is four ingredients to make it from scratch and it will last for one week in the fridge.
A few years ago I watched a show on TV about the Brooklyn market. One of the merchants stands in the market was run by a couple of women who made their own ricotta cheese. Ever since then, I've been wanting to try to come up with my own homemade ricotta cheese recipe.
How to Make Homemade Ricotta
I was really surprised at how easy it is to make ricotta cheese. Just four ingredients and some time.
This recipe calls for whole milk and cream. I'd like to try making it with 2 % milk and no cream, the next time because this one is on the rich side, but it sure tasted delicious.
Sometimes I make individual pizzas with spinach and ricotta. This homemade ricotta cheese recipe would be perfect for that application. Of course, it would be great in lasagna or manicotti. I also like it in pasta, direct with other veggies, in a garlic and olive oil sauce, or combined with a little red sauce.
Though store bought ricotta is certainly convenient, like many things in life, sometimes it's just fun to make from scratch.
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat milk, cream and salt in a large saucepan until it comes to a boil.
- Add lemon juice
- Lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring to prevent burning to the bottom.
- You will notice the curds forming.
- Ladle curds into a cheesecloth lined sieve. I used paper towels.
- Let sit for about 1 hour and strain.
- Place cheese into a container and refrigerate for up to one week.
- Throw out the remaining whey.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 672Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 30gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 1006mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 0gSugar: 36gProtein: 23g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.