Enjoy this delicious mushroom soup with gnocchi recipe that is easy to make and hearty enough for an entire meal.
Recently one of my best friends had knee surgery. I wanted to bring something to her that she could easily heat up and eat for a quick lunch or dinner. I know one of her favorite things to eat is portabella mushrooms so I ended up making a mushroom soup with gnocchi.
I hadn’t tried using frozen gnocchi in a soup before but I recently saw a recipe with gnocchi in a stew, so I thought this would work great. And, it would be filling enough to make a meal.
Making Mushroom Soup with Gnocchi
One of the things I think is important to note is sauteing the mushrooms well. There’s a lot of liquid in mushrooms. However, you still want them to retain some of their meatiness.
This is another good reason to choose baby portabellas. They have a nice firm texture that holds up well in the soup.
I also added a bit of cayenne pepper to give the soup a little heat. Feel free to cut it out or try a milder paprika if you are not a fan of spicy food.
This recipe uses frozen gnocchi which is readily available in most stores. Sometimes you can also find dried gnocchi. Of course, if you have extra time you can make your own. Maybe one day I will try that too.
For now, I’m just glad that this hearty soup was something nice that I could bring to my dear friend to help her out while she recuperates at home.
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 2 carrots cleaned and sliced thinly, approx. 2/3 cup
- 2 celery ribs cleaned and sliced thin, approx. 1/2 cup
- 2 10 oz packages of baby portabella mushrooms
- 3/4 cup half and half cream
- 12-ounce package of frozen gnocchi
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Saute onion, carrots, and celery until softened for about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, red pepper, salt, black pepper, and garlic.
- Cook until most of the water has cooked out of the mushrooms about 7 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil and then add the frozen gnocchi.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add half and half.
- Simmer for 1 additional minute then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 652mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.