This red pepper sauce pasta recipe with chicken and snap peas is a hearty and complete meal that’s easy to make and one everyone will love.
This is another one of mom’s go-to meals. I think she used to make hers with snow peas but I thought snap peas would be a fine substitute and that’s what I found in the market.
You could make this dish with other vegetables that you puree or add some to this saute. For example, turn up the heat by adding a few banana peppers.
I like to grill chicken and leave it undercooked. Then it can continue cooking in the sauce. This way it will stay nice and tender. After all, there’s nothing worse than over-cooked chicken breasts.
I used my food processor to puree the sauce. You could use a blender, and that might work even better as you can see that some of the peppers did not process. Still, I kind of like it a little chunky.
Red Pepper Sauce Pasta Options:
- Use a lighter cream option such as half-n-half or just use less cream and add some of the pasta water.
- Skip the chicken and make it vegetarian.
- Substitute shrimp or crabmeat for the chicken.
- Use snow peas or other vegetables such as zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli or asparagus with or instead of snap peas.
- Top with Romano cheese, asiago or fresh mozzarella instead of Parmesan
- Use a different noodle. My mother always used linguini or fettuccine. I like short pasta but there are tons of options.
It tastes really creamy and satisfying. And don’t you think all the color make this dish look so appealing?
After all, they say we eat with our eyes first.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast grilled and sliced
- 1 pound penne or other short pasta cooked al dente
- 12 ounces of fresh snap peas steamed or blanched
- In a large saute pan heat the olive oil on medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and red pepper. Saute for a few minutes until the vegetables are wilted.
- Add chicken broth and cream.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a food processor to puree.
- Pour sauce back into saute pan.
- Add chicken and simmer for approximately 5 more mins to cook the chicken through.
- Add snap peas and cooked pasta. Stir well.
- Serve immediately with shredded Parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 316 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 65mg Sodium 173mg Carbohydrates 28g Fiber 3g Sugar 4g Protein 24g