A delicious tuna noodle casserole from scratch is quick and easy to make, and a nice meatless option for dinner.
I’ve made tuna noodle casserole many times with canned soup as the base. However, I wanted to make one with a homemade sauce. It was so easy, and I can’t believe it took me so long to try it.
Tuna Noodle Casserole from Scratch
I always use egg noodles for this dish. In the past I also would have used tuna packed in water, but this time I tried one packed in oil. Just so you know this is a little on the rich side, but I bet it would be tasty without the oil.
The same goes for the sauce. I used whole milk. I definitely think 2% would be fine, or you could go the other way and use cream. Two cans of tuna was a good ratio for us but I would try it with 3 cans for a greater protein to starch ratio.
The sauce is a typical white sauce where you make a roux with butter and flour and then add your liquid. Other than your typical salt and pepper, I wasn’t sure what to add for seasoning. I decided to add a clove of garlic and paprika, which we liked, but I think this is definitely an area where you could add your own touch.
Finally, I used some Italian bread crumbs for a crunchy top. You could leave them out, or add some cheese to the top for an added flavor boost.
Like so many of my recipes, it’s all up to you and what you like best. Enjoy
Here’s the Recipe:
- 2 cans albacore tuna in oil, 6 oz.
- 8 oz egg noodles
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Cook the noodles and drain.
- In a heavy saucepan melt butter.
- Grate in garlic.
- Add flour and whisk together on medium heat. Do no let it burn.
- Add milk and bring to a simmer, continually whisking until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once thickened remove from stove and add paprika, salt and pepper.
- Combine cooked noodles and tuna in a mixing bowl.
- Pour sauce over noodles and tuna, mix well.
- Transfer to a buttered baking dish.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degree for 25 minutes